Thread: Chambliss: Junior is not a concern

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Chambliss: Junior is not a concern

Reds notebook

By John Fay
    Enquirer staff writer

Ken Griffey Jr. has taken extra batting practice the last two days. And, yes, he's hit a few out of the ballpark.

That is noted because Griffey had not hit a home run in a game in 43 at-bats this season, counting a pinch-hit appearance in the eighth inning Wednesday.

The most at-bats he's gone to start a season without a home run is 45 in 1991. In 2001, when he began the year mostly as a pinch-hitter, he went 21 games into the season without a home run.

Hitting coach Chris Chambliss is not concerned.

"It's early," Chambliss said. "Jim Thome doesn't have one either. I can't put a reason on why (Griffey) hasn't hit a home run. He's getting his hits. He's not striking out that much."

Griffey, who was not in the starting lineup Tuesday, is hitting .256 with a team-high five doubles.

He just missed home runs twice Monday night, sending drives to the wall.

Chambliss said what Griffey is working on is timing.

"Junior's a timing guy," Chambliss said. "If you watch him, he hits all over the field. The thing he wasn't doing is waiting on the ball.

"He wants to get where he's locked in. Once he does, he'll go back to taking regular batting practice."

Griffey has started 11 of the Reds' 14 games.

"The good thing is he's getting at-bats," Chambliss said. "He's running well. It's a matter of time before the results get better."
    Click here for the rest of the Reds Notebook

AAA ERA
    hope he gets going soon.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    He will. But I really think I am not pressing for a home run right now. I really want to see the guy get some hits. Especially in the second spot of the batting order.