Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN rumor central

AA ERA
    : of moderate or low quality, value, ability, or performance

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/mediocre

MLB ERA
    Jesse Crain's a freakin' enigma, man. In AAA in 2003 and 2004 he put up K/9s of 11.42 and 11.47. Then, last year in the majors, he put up a hilariously awful K/9 of 2.82. I just don't see how a guy can drop 8.5 strikeouts and still be as successful as he was. He's got potential, but if his K-rate doesn't come back up, I'm expecting a big drop-off from him.

Really, a Baker and Crain for Lopez deal makes sense for both sides, but I think sitting here and assuming that you can plug Brandon Phillips in and he'll automatically succeed is stupid, so I'm not sure how much I'd like that deal.

MLB ERA
    No, Dave Williams and Bronson Arroyo are both exceptionally mediocre pitchers. Williams on the low end, Arroyo hopefully closer to the high end, but they're still both pretty damn mediocre. They might define it, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    Jesse Crain's a freakin' enigma, man. In AAA in 2003 and 2004 he put up K/9s of 11.42 and 11.47. Then, last year in the majors, he put up a hilariously awful K/9 of 2.82. I just don't see how a guy can drop 8.5 strikeouts and still be as successful as he was. He's got potential, but if his K-rate doesn't come back up, I'm expecting a big drop-off from him.

Really, a Baker and Crain for Lopez deal makes sense for both sides, but I think sitting here and assuming that you can plug Brandon Phillips in and he'll automatically succeed is stupid, so I'm not sure how much I'd like that deal.
    i agree that assuming anything from phillips would be pretty crazy, and if you are going to get anythig from him, i'd much rather have it be at 2nd giving us 3 young infielders to build around than at short where we already have a young all-star.

as for crain's drop-off, you may be right looking at his start this season. Him and baker have both struggled out of the gate.

The twins won't be able to keep liriano in the pen for too long with his 13k/9 rate.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Felipe Lopez should be pretty much untouchable if I'm the Reds.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    From MLB Trade Rumors:

All sorts of emails about the Reds recently. Everyone thinks they're due for a trade, and I can't disagree. Unfortunately I've come up empty on any inside rumblings of a deal. But take a look at this depth chart! The team has three catchers and five middle infielders, but lacks a real first baseman and could use some relief help. Something's gotta give. The Jays could probably spare a corner type, and the Twins could have some use for a middle infielder who can hit. The Mets might not mind another second base option.

Kinda early for trade rumors isn't it?

AAA ERA
    Not when you have a horrible bullpen and 5 middle infielders and 3 catchers like redrbetters post said. I really don't think Lopez should be traded at all. Freel and Lopez should be the only ones that are untouchable. If any body else was dealt from the Middle Infield or Catchers, it really wouldnt bother me, unless it was a dumb deal like the Dan O ones.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    To be honest guys, I am dissapointed with today. I don't want to rush possible perfection, but I was expecting to at least hear a credible rumor that Krivsky does in fact have something in the works. But nothing. Even with the day off, nobody on earth has heard a thing. I have not seen any insider info, anything that remotely says that Krivsky is actually working on something.

Strike me as impatient, this just sucks. Now Narron has to deal with making a lineup with this team again.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Jesse Crain

Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace

WTF are you talking about. Crain is a damn good rp. He had less the a 1 era for how long last year? Romero was let go because Crain can get the job done.

Baker will not leave Minnesota, It to me would be like letting go Ortiz look what he has done. I think the only mlb starting pitcher would be Lohse, he has value on many team I just want him out of minnesota.

Lopez would be nice to get in Minnesota. he could be the ss we really need

Catcher Mauer
    1st Morneau
    2nd Castillo
    ss Lopez
    3rd Bastista ( sucks) or Cuddyer.

would be a nice infield.

Just take Lohse please!!!! Tell the Obrein Clone to go get Lohse!!
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Are you suggesting a Lopez for Lohse trade? No way they would do that man. Lopez is a young All-Star with untapped potential. Lohse is a good pitcher no doubt, but not for Felo.

I think this team needs to concentrate on better RP or an ace right now vs. gong after a pitcher that would cause Milton and Williams to have to battle for a 5th rotation spot.

Its just not worth getting the same type of talent in an overhaul unless it is significantly better than what we have. Any many relievers are better than what we have.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Lohse is terrible. Near 5 career ERA, 956 hits in 849.1 IP and only 518 strikeouts. Gives up plenty of homers which would only rise as he comes here. We want nothing to do with that, same bullshit as we got but with a different name.

Seriously though, FeLo=Untouchable unless we're talking ace (and that's not happening.)

I really don't see how the Twinkies and Reds matchup for a good trade outside of a young reliever for Kearns or something, if they want to do that for some inane reason
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    He's worse than average, meaning he is worse than most in our rotation even.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by mntwinsfan
    WTF are you talking about. Crain is a damn good rp. He had less the a 1 era for how long last year? Romero was let go because Crain can get the job done.
    It would seem reading comprehension is difficult for you. I said Crain was good last year, but I also said it made me very wary. It's not a good sign for a guy to move up a level and suddenly go from a dominant strikeout pitcher to a guy who couldn't strike out Wily Mo Pena. I questioned his ability to keep it up without a rebound in his strikeout rate, because he didn't see much of a change in other stats, meaning he had more balls in play. BABIP is a stat that has a fairly significant reliance on luck, and it would seem Crain was pretty lucky last year.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast