Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hermanson out?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

White Sox Hermanson out?

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ck=1&cset=true

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Dustin Hermanson said his lower back felt fine Friday, 15 minutes after throwing a light bullpen session and four days after having the first of three epidural shots.

After enduring pain in 2005 that resurfaced this week, however, Hermanson is close to confronting the dangerous intersection where tolerable discomfort crosses into career-threatening surgery.

"I hope it doesn't come to that," Hermanson said of an operation. "But I can't keep pitching with the pain I had last year. That's why we're resorting to pain management because we're not into the fixing part."

Hermanson spoke in cautiously optimistic tones after throwing 42 pitches during a 10-minute session under the supervision of White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper.

Hermanson is scheduled to undergo injections the next two Tuesdays, but there's no guarantee the procedures will help on a long-term basis, based on what the former closer experienced last season.

"Last year I got them, and it lasted only four to five days," Hermanson said. "If that's the case here … I don't know what I can do. I know the next thing [involves] risks to be taken."

Hermanson doesn't want to rely on pain-killing injections because of the long-term effects.
    It would hurt if he is out because he is a backup closer for them if Jenks can't get the job done...the article goes on to talk about possible RPs they could trade for.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Fly with McCarthy if Jenks flames out.

Unless he's already in the rotation after Contreras or ___ fall off.

Any paticular reason as you guys think Jenks may fall off? He pitched pretty well in the playoffs, I don't see a reason he won't continue it in the season

MLB ERA
    I've read that his velocity is down...that he's lost 10 MPH on his fastball.

Hmm....where did you read that? Didn't Jenks have a velocity up in the high 90s to low 100s. So, i'm sure his velocity now can't be horrible.

Also, I'm sure that anybody would lose velocity if you constantly threw in the high 90s. It's sure to happen. If he can stick with a velocity of low 90s....he'll be fine, IMO.

MLB ERA
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...548769,00.html

Jenks was a postseason folk hero in Chicago. Fans are fickle, however, and Jenks has lost up to 10 mph off his fastball. Scouts say he doesn't look as free and easy in his throwing.
    That article is where I read about it.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He's wild too, which doesn't bode well for any reliever. I'd put McCarthy there if things go bad, he has nice stuff and until something opens up in the rotation.. why the Hell not?

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...548769,00.html

That article is where I read about it.
    Definitely interesting, he could still be tired just from the postseason. I still say he'll do well in Chicago this season. Hopefully the pitching coach corrects anything that is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito
    He's wild too, which doesn't bode well for any reliever. I'd put McCarthy there if things go bad, he has nice stuff and until something opens up in the rotation.. why the Hell not?
    I don't see McCarthy just being thrown up in the majors and expected to be a closer that replaces Jenks.

MLB ERA

White Sox

That article is off. I saw Jenks throw recently, and he had one of his bad outings for velocity. His fastest pitch was 94 or 95 MPH and he got roughed up. That's part of what happens in spring training. Let him work his way up to his usual velocity before people start talking about a 24 year old closer being "done". As for McCarthy, that would be an intriguing idea if Jenks were to get injured. I'd love to see him get a starting spot, but it's just not possible in that rotation (and I think that's by design).
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Hermanson to test sore back out

Link

TUCSON, Ariz. — Relief pitcher Dustin Hermanson will test his troublesome back today, and starter Jose Contreras will see how his sore right triceps feels on Saturday.

But in regard to another question on the injury front Thursday, the White Sox got a decidedly positive answer on Scott Podsednik.

Out since March 6 with a sore left shoulder, Podsednik returned to the lineup against the Texas Rangers and went 3-for-4 with a triple, 2 runs scored and 1 RBI.

“I feel really comfortable at the plate, and more important, the shoulder is feeling very comfortable,” Podsednik said. “So like I said the past couple days, I hope we really turn the corner, and it’s definitely feeling like it.”

After having hernia surgery in late November, Podsednik’s lower body was a major concern when he reported to spring training.

But after overdoing it with his upper body early in camp, Podsednik’s shoulder sent him to the trainer’s room.

“The legs feel great,” Podsednik said. “I’m pretty much playing completely pain free, and that’s what I’m most happy about, my health at this point. The timing and comfort will come at the plate. But most important, my health is feeling good. I’m surprised with how comfortable I feel this early.”

Back on top: After batting lower in the order for most of spring training, it looks like Tadahito Iguchi is returning to the No. 2 spot, where he hit last season.

“If Iguchi starts (hitting) second on Opening Day, he will be batting second the rest of the year,” said White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

Batting lower in the order this spring, Iguchi never looked comfortable, and his average is just .136.

Juan Uribe has been batting second in the Cactus League, but he’ll drop back down to No. 7 or 8.

Guillen would prefer leaving Iguchi at No. 2.

“I don’t want to move this kid from two, seven … two, eighth,” Guillen said. “Because all of a sudden, they’re going to have an excuse when they fail.”

Shape up: At 6-feet-3, 270 pounds, Bobby Jenks is a big man.

But the White Sox’ closer has struggled for much of the spring, and manager Ozzie Guillen thinks he knows why.

“The problem with Bobby is he just came in out of shape,” Guillen said. “To use spring training to get in shape, you know you’ve got to take care of yourself. Nobody right now in baseball has the excuse to show up in spring training out of shape. I criticize spring training because the players show up in shape, and sometimes it’s too long. But there’s no excuse for anyone in baseball, period, to show up not in shape. No excuse.”
    Hopefully his back starts feeling better and he can come on back to the white sox and witness some devatstating losses to the Tigers over the season.

Jenks is a huge dude that hasn't pitched a full major league season, reportedly has lost velocity. His rates in general seem a bit flukish as they got better jumping TWO levels from AA to MLB last season. He essentially cut a walk per 9 and added a strikeout per 9 from Birmingham to Chicago. He's never had a walk rate that low. Something just reeks of him adding a walk, dropping a couple K's per nine, and losing some effectiveness.

Heard some reports that Jenks came in camp out of shape and he had gained a few pounds. Could be something to do with him losing some velocity and what not.

MLB ERA
    Hermanson is going on the DL.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ck=1&cset=true

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The White Sox's Opening Day roster could be finalized as soon as Monday. The team cut six players after Sunday's 9-7 win over Kansas City.

There are 28 players left in camp. That number doesn't include reliever Dustin Hermanson, who will be placed on the 15-day disabled list because of recurring back pain.
    so I guess that settles that, huh?

Yah. It's only the 15 day DL, but back pains? Thats surely something to not mess with, and could keep re occuring over the rest of the season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast