Thread: Pierzynski wants a multi-year deal

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

White Sox Pierzynski wants a multi-year deal

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southt...pro/112sd5.htm

A.J. Pierzynski has no problem waiting for his turn.
    The White Sox catcher, however, makes no secret he would like to get a multiyear contract done that would assure he'd be staying on the South Side for at least a few more seasons.

"We won the World Series and we are bringing most of the same players back," Pierzynski said from his home in Florida via a phone interview. "How could I not want to return to this team for a few more years?

"I also know they needed to get some other things done first, and they won't have to make any type of decision on me for a while."

Pierzynski, pitcher Jon Garland and third baseman Joe Crede are arbitration-eligible. Even if the Sox aren't looking to get a multiyear deal done for Pierzynski this offseason, he would still be Sox property and could settle on a one-year deal or opt for an arbitration hearing.

Considering the history of the Sox with arbitration-eligible players, a hearing is the last resort for the organization. Since 1998, the Sox have had one player go to an arbitration hearing, reliever Keith Foulke before the 2001 season.

That may change this offseason, but Pierzynski won't be the one to blame.

According to one source close to the situation, Garland turned down a three-year contract offer last week. Terms of the offer were not disclosed. That means the Sox could be headed for at least one arbitration hearing before the 2006 season. Considering Crede has Scott Boras as his agent, it could very well be two.

Of the three, Pierzynski seems the most willing to get something done. He earned $2.25 million in 2005, and could see his salary jump to about $4 million for '06.

"I understand this is a business," said the 28-year-old Pierzynski, who will appear as a tag-team manager on TNA Wrestling's Turning Point pay-per-view event Sunday. "I've seen that end of it the last few years. But playing (for the Sox) definitely feels like home."

Pierzynski was traded by Minnesota to San Francisco after the 2003 season when the Twins decided Joe Mauer was their future behind the plate.

While in the Twins organization, Pierzynski grew accustomed to trading some smack talk with his teammates. That act didn't fly in San Francisco. Several Giants pitchers called Pierzynski a "clubhouse cancer" during his one season in the Bay Area.

After being released by the Giants, Pierzynski signed with the Sox for the 2005 season. He had some reservations about coming to a clubhouse where he was considered Baseball Enemy No. 1 while he was with the Twins.

The '05 season, however, turned out to be a storybook one for Pierzynski and the Sox. He quickly fit in, then proved to be a key fixture in the Sox's run to the World Series championship.

The Sox are expected to turn their attention to Pierzynski in January. He said he has no problem waiting his turn.

"Obviously, getting Jim Thome and then (re-)signing Paulie (Konerko) were more important than getting to me," Pierzynski said. "That goes without saying."

While those two moves excited Pierzynski, it wasn't all sunshine and smiles.

"I'm thrilled to have Thome in the lineup, but at the same time Aaron Rowand (who was traded for Thome) is a great buddy of mine," Pierzynski said. "I was disappointed that he had to go. Like I said, though, it's a business.

"If we can get a center fielder that can come close to doing what 'Row' did, having Thome in the middle of the lineup ... wow. Thome, Jermaine (Dye) and Konerko ... that's as formidable a middle of the lineup as there is in the (AL Central) division."

MLB ERA
    For his value, he's been paid below market value, mostly because of his redassery. If it's a reasonable deal, The White Sox would be smart to keep him around. Most other available options are old or expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I agree with Saber. Pierzynski came up big in the playoffs with his bat and his scandals and should be given a two or three year deal for about $4 mil per.

MLB ERA
    A.J. needs to be with the White Sox for a long time. He proved his value last year (a down year offensively for him) when the ENTIRE pitching staff (save Marte, who isn't there anymore) lowered their ERA, and the team ERA dropped by a great deal as well. That in itself is worth a 3-4 year deal IMO.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    there he is:

http://oakland.athletics.mlb.com/NAS...2005&fext=.jsp

CHICAGO -- A.J. Pierzynski didn't come into a Chicago feeling as if he had something to prove or with a monumental chip on his shoulder, unless a high level of intensity on a daily basis and a sardonic sense of humor could be translated into that particular axe to grind.
    Sure, Pierzynski was playing for his third team in three years, after the Twins traded him to the Giants for the 2004 season and the Giants non-tendered him the following offseason. But Pierzynski's talent and desire to win never was the question. It was more a case of Pierzynski truly finding a place where he fit.

And that place seems to be with the White Sox. Pierzynski needed to convince general manager Ken Williams to take a chance on signing him last Jan. 6, but there was no convincing needed this time around. The man with the most famous strikeout in American League Championship Series history wanted to stay with the White Sox, and the White Sox wanted one of their leaders back in the fold for many years to come.

Pierzynski, who turns 29 on December 30, agreed to terms on a three-year, $15 million contract Monday, avoiding arbitration. The deal reduces the White Sox arbitration-eligible pool of players to Jon Garland, Joe Crede, Rob Mackowiak, Willie Harris and Timo Perez, with Garland, Crede and Mackowiak figuring to be offered arbitration.

Once eligible to become a free agent after the 2006 season, Pierzynski now will earn $4 million in 2006 and $5.5 million in each of 2007 and 2008.

The White Sox are not exactly deep at the catcher's position throughout the organization, and the position wasn't their strongest at the Major League level entering the 2005 calendar year. Enter Pierzynski, who agreed to a one-year deal, and proved to be one of the most important signings, if not the most important signing, by Williams during the offseason.

His average dipped to .257 in 2005, but Pierzynski also launched a career-high 18 home runs and drove in 57 runs. His handling of the pitchers was unquestioned and even applauded by the White Sox staff, after it emerged as an area that limited an uneasy fit in San Francisco to just one season.

White Sox pitchers compiled a 2.19 ERA when he was behind the plate for the 12 postseason contests, including four straight complete games in the American League Championship Series. Pierzynski also hit .262 with four doubles, three home runs and nine RBIs as part of the White Sox run to their first World Series title since 1917.

The 6-foot-3, 240-pound catcher was durable, ranking third among American League catchers with 1,117 2/3 innings caught, the second-highest total by a White Sox catcher since 1971. He also finished the season with a .999 fielding percentage and a 119-game errorless streak, the longest active streak among Major League catchers.

But Pierzynski added an attitude previously absent from the White Sox organization. He was direct and totally focused on winning as he became a natural fit in the clubhouse, and the only chip that eventually emerged was wanting to prove the Sox were as good as they played on the field from the start of the 2005 campaign. The career .287 hitter took pride in the organization, as was evidenced by his take on the crowd at his TNA pro wrestling debut in Orlando last weekend.

"I saw a lot of White sox hats and shirts," Pierzynski said after managing Dale Torborg as part of a six-man tag. "They were well-represented in Orlando, and that's always great to see."

After the match, Pierzynski said that he wanted to stay with the White Sox and that the White Sox had told him something would get done. It took a week for the new contract to become official, although there was never a doubt Pierzynski had found a home.

"I want to thank Kenny for allowing me to come here," said Pierzynski to the huge crowd assembled for the White Sox victory parade at the end of October. "Thank you for embracing me and taking me in as one of your own."

Chuck Norris is an all-star catcher.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Good for A.J. and good for Kenny Williams by not only not letting a WS team dismantle but by getting better.