Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pierre in? Marte and Rowand out?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

White Sox Pierre in? Marte and Rowand out?

http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/...-pierre19.html

The Cubs have the most interest in Pierre, who could be the leadoff hitter they crave or a No. 2 hitter if general manager Jim Hendry pulls the coup of the offseason by signing free-agent shortstop -- and dangerous leadoff hitter -- Rafael Furcal.

But the White Sox have the better goods to lock up Pierre.

Though industry sources say the Marlins haven't made a firm decision to deal Pierre, the cash-strapped team is looking to trim its payroll. Pierre, 28, made $3.7 million last season and is eligible for arbitration this winter. Despite an off year in which he hit .276, Pierre stole 57 bases -- fourth most in the majors -- and would easily top $4 million in salary for 2006.

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria is said to have grown frustrated with Pierre's weak arm in center field and his inconsistent performance in 2005.

Pierre would be an upgrade over inconsistent Corey Patterson. But the Marlins are seeking to rebuild their bullpen and would want relievers in return. Even after signing Eyre to a three-year, $11 million contract Thursday, the Cubs might not have enough extra relievers to entice the Marlins.

The Sox, however, are shopping Damaso Marte, who had been their left-handed setup man until Neal Cotts assumed the role late in the regular season and into the postseason. Marte, who turns 31 on Feb. 14, is entering the final year of a three-year, $4.5 million contract that calls for a $2.25 million salary in 2006.

Marte was at the center of trade talks between the Sox and Marlins -- involving a discussed trade for pitcher A.J. Burnett -- before the July 31 non-waivers trading deadline. The Marlins are still believed to be interested in Marte despite his second-half struggles. In 34 outings before the All-Star break, he was 3-2 with a 2.81 ERA. After the break, he went 0-1 with a 5.03 ERA.

A sore spot with the Sox was Marte's struggles against left-handed batters last season, allowing a .267 batting average compared to .244 by right-handed hitters.

Marte will try to rebound by pitching in the Dominican winter league, agent Martin Arburua said.

Arburua added he would not be surprised if the Sox dealt his client.

"Before the trade deadline, yes, they were shopping him,'' Arburua said. "It would not surprise me. They have Neal Cotts now, who is a solid lefty and really came on this year.''

If the Sox land Pierre, they likely would bat him second behind Scott Podsednik. Second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, who batted second this past season, could be dropped lower in the lineup, where the Sox could take advantage of his power. A Pierre deal would push center fielder Aaron Rowand out the door.
    interesting I guess...they're going for more speed. I read that just a couple weeks ago the team told the Yanks that Rowand wasn't available...I wonder what changed their minds.

MLB ERA
    I don't like this trade one bit. Rowand > Pierre overall IMO, and Marte has a LOT of value on the trade market. I know the club wants more speed, but Rowand is SO much better defensively and can hit for a decent-good average with FAR more power than Pierre. I like the idea of getting Pierre, but not at that price.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Who would like this trade if you were a Sox fan? Rowand is a keeper and is better than Pierre all around. Why try and get rid of good pieces of a championship team?

Rowand for Pierre alone would be the worst trade since Podsednik for Lee...okay, bad example. Still, it wouldn't be a good trade.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    Rowand for Pierre alone would be the worst trade since Podsednik for Lee...okay, bad example. Still, it wouldn't be a good trade.
    Really bad example there, because the Sox got better LF defense, a leadoff hitter, and a decent middle reliever for the loss of Lee. In this trade, the Sox would get better speed and the 2 hole hitter Ozzie wants while sacrificing defense, power, and a releiver who has a high value on the trade market. This would be a bad move by Kenny IMO, but I've been wrong about moves he's made before.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

MLB ERA
    The White Sox got speed at the price of 32 bombs and 114 RBI.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    The White Sox got speed at the price of 32 bombs and 114 RBI.
    Speed that was the catalyst of a more consistent, albeit less productive, offense that did what it took to get the win for the excellent pitching.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

MLB ERA
    They won the World Series, so I'd say the Podsednik/Lee trade worked out fine.

Rookie ERA
    WTF, Sox fans love Rowand, if he's traded there will be hell. They guy runs into walls for balls and has a nice bat, would be a dumb trade.

MLB ERA
    well, Marte and Rowand did end up leaving...Pierre came to Chicago, just not the White Sox...

So I wonder what White Sox are going to do with that CF position? Brian Anderson possibly?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Willie Harris!
    ..if he still plays for them. Ha. Mackowiak can play CF too.

MLB ERA
    I believe Willie Harris is on the Red Sox now...yep, he is:

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/p...ayer_id=407483

MLB ERA

White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    So I wonder what White Sox are going to do with that CF position? Brian Anderson possibly?
    Anderson as the starter with some platoon from Mackowiak.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

Quote Originally Posted by Dam8610
    Anderson as the starter with some platoon from Mackowiak.
    How's Anderson doing in ST? You think he'll be good up in the ML?

I know Mack a little bit from his Pirate days, was a pretty good hitter. Not sure bout his defense though, never really paid any attention to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast