Thread: Will Konerko be back?

White Sox Will Konerko be back?

Konerko said all the right things in the warm afterglow of a World Series championship. He talked about how the White Sox were the best "team" he had ever played on, about how other organizations may have more headline grabbing star players, but how Chicago is where being a "team" means something.

Of course that can all go out the window if a different organization waves enough millions at him.

I honestly think if he gets a fair value offer from the White Sox, he'll return and see if they can do it again. He seems to actually legitimately value team play and team mates who don't need to be considered stars in order to do their jobs. And I don't think he'll jump ship for a few extra million from an organization that doesn't grasp this concept.

Konerko is a classy play, and Konerko should go back to the White Sox.

With that said, he probably won't. There are a lot of teams that would be willing to pay the price to have Konerko sign with them, and frankly, baseball is in a time period where players usually will leave any team for the right amount of cash.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    bruce levine of WMVP Chicago reported that they are prepping something in the neighborhood of 50 mil over 4 years. would that be considered fair?
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

I really don't know what the market is for a 1B like him, but I'd consider that fair. Who knows if the source is correct, and who knows what other teams are offering.

MLB ERA
    Richie Sexson got $50 mil for 4 years last year, so I think it's a fair offer. Konerko wants a longer deal though, so I could see the Sox giving him $65 mil for 5 years, especially if the 5th year is an option. Either way, I think (and hope) he'll be back in 2006 and beyond.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

MLB ERA
    Just because the Mariners were stupid doesn't mean that Chicago should be.

But what Konerko gets paid in 2006 for his performance isn't the problem. The problem is what numbers he'll put up for the money he'll make in 2008 and beyond.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    Just because the Mariners were stupid doesn't mean that Chicago should be.

But what Konerko gets paid in 2006 for his performance isn't the problem. The problem is what numbers he'll put up for the money he'll make in 2008 and beyond.
    I understand exactly what you're saying, but if the White Sox don't sign him to a high paying deal, some team will come up with a huge offer for him in the range of say 5 years 75 mil and he'll take it. Like Beltran last year, his postseason performance has greatly inflated his market value. Unlike what the Sox did with Magglio & El Caballo last year, it would be incredibly difficult to take the money they would've spent on Konerko and improve other areas of the team. If Konerko were to walk, the Sox would basically be forced to try to find someone via trade to fill the void.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

MLB ERA
    So?
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Saber
    So?
    So if the Sox don't resign Konerko, they're going to either lose a part of the team that they shouldn't lose, or they're going to have a very bad offense next year, either of which would be highly detrimental to their chances of defending the crown.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

They could always get Jim Thome for free.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Even a three year contrcat would be significantly better than four years or longer, limiting the potential loss in production that Konerko will inevitably have.

I do predict that Konerko will stay with the White Sox, because, like most recent World Series winners, the team will feel compelled to keep the entire roster together, and be less able to look at each player's contributions objectively.

MLB ERA
    Looking at it objectively, Konerko was the Sox best overall hitter. His batting average was .283 (.312 from June 1st on) with 40 HR and 100 RBI, and he was the only player on the Sox to draw more than 50 walks during the regular season (he drew 81). That puts him 2nd on the team in batting average, and 1st in both HRs and RBI. Without that production, the White Sox offense would be horrid, which is why they need to keep Konerko.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Sox made their offer. Konerko would get 4 yrs and $52 million. $13 million/yr is not a bad deal especially if you really wanted to stay and try and defend a title.

AA ERA
    I think he should go for it. They made a good offer and he should stay and defend the title. I think he'll end up there.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    And for 2 years this will look like a good contract.