Thread: Ozzie Guillen and McCarthy

Ozzie Guillen and McCarthy

Link

DETROIT — A natural starting pitcher, Brandon McCarthy was forced out of the rotation when the White Sox acquired Javier Vazquez in an off-season trade from the Arizona Diamondbacks.

McCarthy is a reliever now, and it looks like he’s going to be a good one.

In four outings, McCarthy has pitched 6 scoreless innings and allowed just 3 hits and no walks while recording 4 strikeouts.

“McCarthy’s been the key for us,’’ said Sox manager Ozzie Guillen.

There have already been some rumblings about McCarthy being moved from his setup role to closer if Bobby Jenks struggles.

Guillen doesn’t see a switch coming anytime soon.

“Not really,’’ Guillen said. “The way (McCarthy’s) throwing the ball, I thought about it. But I’m not going to overuse this kid for no reason. I’m not going to push the kid into something he hasn’t done. We’ll bring in the guy (Jenks) that we count on to close the game.’’

Road to success: In 1985, Jim Leyland was the White Sox’ third-base coach. That was the same year Ozzie Guillen arrived as the starting shortstop.

While he only spent one season with Guillen, Leyland is not surprised he’s managing the defending World Series champions.

“He had real good instincts, a good feel for the game, and he was a smart player,’’ said Leyland, who is managing the Detroit Tigers. “I think he just has a way with people, and with him, what you see is what you get. He tells it like it is and the way he sees it. If you like it, fine; if you don’t like it, that’s fine, too. He’s going to do what he thinks is the right way, and you have to respect that.’’

Say what? Even though he’s hit 81 home runs over the last two seasons, Paul Konerko said Jim Thome is the Sox’ only proven home run threat.

“I’ve always hit a nice number of home runs, but it’s not something I focus on,’’ Konerko said. “I want to be a guy that can drive home the winning run in the ninth inning with a guy at second and two outs. That’s in my mind more than hitting home runs.’’
    Thoughts White Sox fans?

MLB ERA

White Sox

McCarthy should be solid in the setup role, Ozzie makes odd decisions at times in the course of games but overall is one of the best managers in the league, and Konerko is a power threat, even if he doesn't want to admit it.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Well Konerko seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. That's always great.

Ozzie one of the best managers in the league? Maybe you're possibly bias. I think he's a good manager, but not one of the best. Unless we're talking top 10, then arguably maybe.

McCarthy got his 3 hold this season today. Struck out 3, 2 ER, 5 hits in 3 innings. Not bad at all. Definitely not as bad as the Tigers pitching though. Tigers pitching sucked.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    Ozzie one of the best managers in the league? Maybe you're possibly bias. I think he's a good manager, but not one of the best. Unless we're talking top 10, then arguably maybe.
    In two seasons, Ozzie has won a world championship, and guided a team that was reliant on great offensive production and lost it's two best hitters (Magglio Ordonez and Frank Thomas in 2004) in June to an above .500 record. If that doesn't scream good manager, I don't know what does. I'll be the first to admit that he doesn't always make the best in game decisions for winning the game at hand, but overall, he has to be considered one of the best managers in the league.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

He's done some great things, but I don't think he's been in the game long enough as a manager to be considered one of the greats. He's good, but no Bobby Cox, Jim Leyland, Joe Torre, shit maybe he's is one of the best managers in the league today. Just due to the fact that there aren't many great managers in todays league. I can only come up with three and that's pretty sad. Oh well, I actually like Guillen. It's just hard to think of him as one of the best managers in baseball.

MLB ERA

White Sox

I understand what you're saying about him not having enough time in the league, but what he's done in his short time as a manager is simply amazing IMO.

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)

For sure. If he can continue to build off on what he's already done, he'll be considered a great manager in the future. A great manager who will be considered as an elite manager.