Thread: Cubs trying to resign Lee

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Cubs Cubs trying to resign Lee

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ck=1&cset=true

MESA, Ariz. -- When Albert Pujols announced a couple of springs ago that he wouldn't give St. Louis a "hometown discount" during contract negotiations, many Cardinals fans were outraged.

Pujols eventually agreed to a seven-year, $100 million deal before the 2004 season, becoming the ninth player in baseball history to sign a deal for $100 million or more.

The Cubs' Derrek Lee is unlikely to join that exclusive club because of his age (30) and the fact that he has only one mega-season under his belt. But Lee's value soared after he led the National League in batting average and doubles in 2005, while hitting 46 home runs and earning his second Gold Glove Award.

Now the question is whether Lee will give the Cubs the proverbial hometown discount in upcoming talks about a contract extension or instead try to maximize his value. He could roll the dice and play out the season, as White Sox slugger Paul Konerko did last year when the Sox didn't get him signed by the start of the season.

General manager Jim Hendry made contact with Lee's agent, Casey Close, on Saturday night, and both sides agreed to begin talks during spring training. Asked earlier in the day if he was confident something would get done, Lee said he wasn't sure.

"I haven't had any discussions about a contract," he said. "It's not in my thought process right now."
    Let's see him repeat, or come close to, last year's performance.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    i hope he can come close to the performance of last year, but i also want him resigned. If the Cubs can get him for like a 5/55 deal or a 4/46 deal, that would be great. he'll be cheaper now than in the postseason.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

The Cubs have a penchant for being cheap, and with Derrek Lee, that could show again. With Paul Konerko getting 5 years, $65 million, even with a degenerative hip condition (the same thing that put Albert Belle out of baseball) Lee is certain to break the bank. I would seriously expect him to receive an offer around what Tejada got from the Baltimore Orioles a few years ago- 5 years at $75 million.

MLB ERA
    Im betting something like 6 for $75 million, and I'm saying this because about 1/4 of the season his #'s will be great again.

6 years, 80 mil. Chicago will pay up and Derrek Lee will cash in. He deserves it, too.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Its the same thing...