Cubs return entire coaching staff
Oct. 11, 2005

AP

CHICAGO (AP) Pitching coach Larry Rothschild has signed a one-year contract to return to the Chicago Cubs after a weighing an offer to go to the Detroit Tigers and be reunited with manager Jim Leyland.

Rothschild was Florida's pitching coach and Leyland the manager when the Marlins won the 1997 World Series. Leyland was hired last week to manage the Tigers; Detroit's general manager, Dave Dombrowski, was the Marlins' GM in that championship year.

"It was a very tough decision," Rothschild said. "Probably for about five or six days I went back and forth a lot, talking to people. With Dave Dombrowski and Jim, we won a World Series and I had a relationship with both of them. That made it tough, but in the end my obligation was more important."

Rothschild will begin his fifth season with the Cubs, having joined the staff the year before Dusty Baker became manager. The Cubs have been ravaged by injuries the last two seasons, especially to young aces Kerry Wood and Mark Prior.

"I took the job four years ago with winning in mind and we haven't accomplished that," Rothschild said.

Let's hope they are able to accomplish it. Got a decent shot I figure.