Thread: Wood done for the season

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Cubs Wood done for the season

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2146283

CHICAGO -- Chicago Cubs right-hander Kerry Wood will have season-ending arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder Wednesday.

Wood, who switched to the bullpen Aug. 5 from the rotation to try and alleviate the soreness in his shoulder, was available to pitch Monday night before he is sidelined for the rest of the season.

The surgery will be performed by Dr. Timothy Kremchek at Beacon Orthopedics outside of Cincinnati.

Wood, the 1998 NL Rookie of the Year, missed the entire 1999 season after Tommy John elbow ligament replacement surgery. He has been bothered by arm problems the last two seasons.
    He's done...need I say more?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Doc 1: We can rebuild him. We have the technology.

Doc 2: But it's Kerry Wood.

Doc 1: All right, screw it then. Let's move on with Lee Majors.

MLB ERA
    Dusty Baker is the worst thing that has ever happened to the Cubs. Maybe he's secretly working for the White Sox! lol

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEights
    Dusty Baker is the worst thing that has ever happened to the Cubs. Maybe he's secretly working for the White Sox! lol
    why do you blame baker for wood? sure, you could possibly blame him for prior, but not wood. he didnt abuse him as much as riggleman did.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Can't even bl;ame him for Prior. Blaming Baker is a fool's way of thinking. Grow up guys. Wood should have been traded before this year anyways. Blame your GM, not Baker.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Can't even bl;ame him for Prior. Blaming Baker is a fool's way of thinking. Grow up guys. Wood should have been traded before this year anyways. Blame your GM, not Baker.
    i dont, BTW. prior has just had bad luck mostly since he seems to find roaming 2nd basemen (giles in 2003), running the bases (hamstring the first year) and line drives (this year).

just saying its possible you could since some think he was overworked in 2003 and why his elbow was hurt some last year. He pitched fine down the stretch last year and showed no signs of wear n tear. just his achilles, which can be a problem when you are Calfzilla. having large calves myself it can be tough on my ankles/achilles area if i am just walking really fast.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War

MLB ERA
    There are so many other reasons to fire Dusty Baker besides this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Sending out YOUNG arms out there for more than 130 pitches can do quite a lot of damage. He has always overworked starters, youre just starting to see it catch up. Ya part of it has been bad luck for Prior but whats the excuse when he missed almost the entire first half last year with Dead Arm cause of the way Baker works them.

Wood had some problems but in a three year stretch he started 28, 33, and 34 games respectfully from 01-04. What happened in 2004? Thats right Dusty Baker became the Cubs manager and you started seeing him, Prior, and Zambrano goign out there for more than 120,130, or 140 pitches. That adds up on an arm.

There are other reasons to fire him, but his tendency to leave starters in too long is what is hurting the cubs fragile young arms now.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Wrong, wrong, and wrong. Prior was great going into the playoffs in 2003 and was overworked. Plus he had all damn offseason to recover so don't try and feed that BS. And in 10 seasons in SF, he never overworked a pitcher so shhhhhhhhhhh. And Baker was the manger for them in 2003 so please get your facts straight. Wood had arm problems in 1999 too.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    and 1998 when riggleman worked him harder as a rookie than baker ever could. wood was done by early september that year.

prior missed the first half of the season last year because of his achilles, not his "dead arm"

AA ERA
    Baker and arm injuries is eveyone's link, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. Pitchers used to do it, why can't they now? I think they can if they are in the proper shape.

I'm glad Wood is getting this shoulder surgery done now. I'm about to give up on him, but maybe he will come back strong. Doubt it though.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle