Rotation-bound Rusch knows the drill
August 13, 2005

BY TONI GINNETTI

Left-hander Glendon Rusch will rejoin the rotation Monday, replacing southpaw Rich Hill for the start of a three-game series against the Astros in Houston. It's a change Rusch is accustomed to and one he doesn't mind.

''It's what I expected, to bounce back and forth, and something I've done before,'' he said. ''Hopefully, what I'd like to do is go five or six innings because I don't want to leave the bullpen short. Greg [Maddux] went nine for us [Thursday], so that helped.''

Rusch has become familiar with moving from the rotation to the bullpen and back. He was the most reliable arm last season, substituting for the injured Kerry Wood and Mark Prior. Rusch was called upon earlier this season when both starters were hurt again.

''We'll try to get whatever we can out of him because that's what we've been getting in that [fifth] spot anyway,'' manager Dusty Baker said. ''The key is to get more [from the starters] before and after that spot to not put a strain on the bullpen.''

Rusch said moving back into the rotation is somewhat more difficult than going to the bullpen ''because you have to get stretched out more. But I was throwing a few innings at a time [in relief]. I honestly didn't feel I did as good a job as I could have, but I was ready when they needed me.''

Rusch has made 10 starts and 27 relief appearances, with a 5.14 ERA in relief and a 3.32 ERA as a starter.

''I like starting,'' he said. ''It's hard to say what I like doing better, but I've started [the majority of] my career. I think people here know I can do it permanently. It's just we needed help in other areas. I don't feel I have to prove myself.''

Well this will be interesting. He's a better starter than reliver. This one might help us .