Thread: Lineup issuses. What do we do?

AA ERA

Lineup issuses. What do we do?

Quote Originally Posted by cbs.sportsline.com
    --Since Kenny Lofton left to become a free agent after the 2003 season, the Cubs have had plenty of problems coming up with a leadoff man.

They hope they found their man with Matt Lawton.

The Cubs traded Jody Gerut for Lawton on Sunday and beat the non-waiver trade deadline. Lawton has a .382 on-base percentage and more walks (57) and stolen bases (16) than any other member of the Cubs.

"He's not a Kenny Lofton type of base stealer but certainly with his on-base percentage, which is the best in the league among leadoff men, he's certainly capable of getting some innings going and setting the table for Derrek (Lee), Aramis (Ramirez) and (Jeromy) Burnitz. And he can knock in some runs," general manager Jim Hendry said.

Lawton drove in 44 runs in his first 100 games with the Pirates.

Cubs second baseman Todd Walker was once a minor league roommate with Lawton and said he's still friends with the 33-year-old left-handed hitter.

"Matt's a good leadoff guy with a lot of speed," Walker said. "He's a 20-20 (homers-stolen bases) guy. I think bringing him over here from the Pirates is going to have the same effect as it did Aramis. I think he's going to rise in this environment."

--CF Jerry Hairston Jr. dropped from leadoff to No. 2 in the lineup on Tuesday after the addition of Matt Lawton.

--2B Todd Walker, who had been batting second in the lineup, was dropped to sixth in the lineup on Tuesday against Philadelphia after the addition of Matt Lawton. Lawton batted first, former leadoff hitter Jerry Hairston Jr. was batting second and Walked was moved into the heart of the lineup.

I'd go Lawton/Harriston 1-2, and Walker/Nomar/Barrett 6-7-8. That is assuming Nomar will start, which is quite possibly not the truth. What would you all do?
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Looks like Hairston might be done for the season. Heard that he torn something.
    If so,
    Lawton
    Nomar
    Lee
    Ramirez
    Burnitz
    Walker
    Barrett
    Patterson
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!

AA ERA
    Sucks if true. He was coming on strong. That would solve the problem though.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle