Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cubs sign BJ Ryan

MLB ERA

Cubs Cubs sign BJ Ryan

The Cubs signed B.J. Ryan to a one-year deal, according to ESPN Chicago. He will work out in Arizona before reporting to Triple A Iowa, according to the Chicago Tribune, which first reported the team's interest last week.
    The Blue Jays released Ryan after a disappointing three and a half year stint that began well, but ends with the Blue Jays paying $15MM between now and the end of next season as he plays in another uniform. The change of scenery could help Ryan, who wasn't bad against lefties this year. However, he allowed a near-1.200 OPS against righties and saw the velocity of his fastball drop for a fourth straight season, according to FanGraphs.
    What an awful idea. Hopefully they realize their mistake before it costs them a playoff spot or another early playoff exit.

Your thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Re: Cubs sign BJ Ryan

why is it an awful idea? they arent paying him anything. They need another lefty in the bullpen based on how lou likes how to manage a pen.

I dont really think its going to pay dividends, but its a no risk move. The jays are paying all his salary and if sucks, they can just cut his ass.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

If he becomes a LOOGY, he'll have a shot to be decent at best. If he gets used as a major reliever, he'll get cut pretty damn soon.

MLB ERA

Anyone who costs you games, no matter their monetary cost, is not a good idea. I wouldn't pay anyone $300,000 to blow games, which is what BJ Ryan is going to do

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah they only signed BJ Ryan, not his arm. It retired a couple of years ago.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

I can't see how an MLC for Ryan is a bad deal.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA

Once he starts blowing games you will see how it's a bad deal. I don't care how much you're paying or not paying a guy. If he doesn't help you win ball games, he's not a good deal.

MLB ERA

Like I said, the guy's been decent against lefties, and he could be decent in the right role....but not as a main reliever for a playoff team.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    Once he starts blowing games you will see how it's a bad deal. I don't care how much you're paying or not paying a guy. If he doesn't help you win ball games, he's not a good deal.
    if hes used in the right role, he could be fine. He sucks against righties right now. so, you dont pitch him against righties.

its not a real hard concept here.

besides its a minor league deal. there they can at least see if he still has something. if he doesnt? no harm no foul.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by rockin500 View Post
    if hes used in the right role, he could be fine. He sucks against righties right now. so, you dont pitch him against righties.

its not a real hard concept here.

besides its a minor league deal. there they can at least see if he still has something. if he doesnt? no harm no foul.

exactly.... other teams make moves like this all the time. it looks like basic procedure to me... and he may not even make the mlb roster-- he's going to start at mesa, work his way to aaa once he feels ready. there's a half and half chance he even makes the roster...

atleast it's not like the yankees and brett tomko's love affair-- i think that dude's been on their ****ing roster since opening day...

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

Yea. Tomko's really ****ed the Yankees roster. If not for 2 bad outings where Girardi left him in way too long, he has a 2.2 ERA. That's really ****ing their roster.

MLB ERA

The guy's 1-2 with a 5+ ERA. He may not have single handedly ****ed the roster up, but he's been far from "ideally efective". He had two very shitty games in June. He lost the game against the Phils in May.

Neither guy is particularly impressive....but I think used correctly, both could be serviceable.

MLB ERA

Let's look at that in depth more LJ. Yes he has a 5+ ERA. However we'll take a look at the 2 shitty games he had which is blowing up his ERA almost 3 whole points. June 12th against the mets he gave up 4 runs in .2 innings. Girardi left him in way too long. June 21 he gave up 3 runs in 2 innings against the Marlins, including 2 homers. Shoulda taken him out after the first one. May 24th he gave up the winning run to the Phillies in the 11th. Everybody has a loss like that at some point. Big deal. Like I said before, without the first 2 games I mentioned, he has an ERA of 2.2.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    Let's look at that in depth more LJ. Yes he has a 5+ ERA. However we'll take a look at the 2 shitty games he had which is blowing up his ERA almost 3 whole points. June 12th against the mets he gave up 4 runs in .2 innings. Girardi left him in way too long. June 21 he gave up 3 runs in 2 innings against the Marlins, including 2 homers. Shoulda taken him out after the first one. May 24th he gave up the winning run to the Phillies in the 11th. Everybody has a loss like that at some point. Big deal. Like I said before, without the first 2 games I mentioned, he has an ERA of 2.2.
    I understand that. And I agree. But he has also has an AWFUL K/BB ratio, and has had a couple games(ex: May 9 @ Baltimore and July 11 A LAA) where he gave up 3 hits in an inning or so, and managed to limit the damage. So, yes, outside of those two games he hasn't been terrible, but he seems (without having watched) to have been more lucky than tremendously effective...

MLB ERA

Also, taking out those 2 bad games, he only has 15.2 IP. Even you would agree that 15 innings isn't a good sample size to determine effectiveness. Admittedly neither is 20, but the point remains that he's been far from extraordinary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast