Thread: Geovany Soto tests positive for...

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Cubs Geovany Soto tests positive for...

Chicago Cubs catcher Geovany Soto said he has been informed by the International Baseball Federation that he tested positive for marijuana at the World Baseball Classic.

"While I fully acknowledge my inappropriate behavior, I want to assure my fans and my family that this was an isolated incident," Soto said in a statement released by the Cubs. "I do not say this to minimize or deflect from my conduct and I fully understand the ramifications of my actions. I have and will accept any and all consequences.
    "I am fully dedicated to the game of baseball and my teammates, and I apologize for any distraction and embarrassment this may cause them."
    Neither the Cubs nor Major League Baseball will penalize Soto, according to sources contacted by ESPNChicago.com's Bruce Levine.
    MLB does not regularly test for marijuana since it's not considered a performance-enhancing drug, according to a players association spokesman interviewed by Levine. But if MLB has suspicion that a player is involved with a drug like marijuana, it can ask for that player to be tested. This incident may open Soto to future testing. And if the result of the MLB test is positive, the league can fine and/or suspend the player.
    The Cubs released a statement while playing the Tigers in Detroit.
    "Geovany assured the organization this was an isolated incident and a misstep in judgment that will not be repeated," the statement read. "Though surprised and disappointed, the club supports Geovany as he takes responsibility for his actions and accepts the consequences."
    Soto, who is the reigning National League rookie of the year, played for Puerto Rico in the WBC.
    A pro athlete on pot? SHOCKER! I'm surprised more haven't tested positive for Mary J.

Not that it's really a big deal, I can't see the general public caring too much about this since it's only pot. And honestly, I don't get the outrage for it because who cares.

The only thing that might raise an eyebrow with this coming out, is that Soto is hitting like complete shit. His slugging is worse than the mighty Juan Pierre's. In fact, his slugging is not even at .400, not really close right now. Maybe the rest of the cubs are stoned.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA

Re: Geovany Soto tests positive for...

Who the hell cares who smokes pot? Everyone does it now a days. They really should just legalize it. I don't smoke it at all, i've never even tried it, but honestly, just freakin legalize it. People *****ing about athletes smoking pot is just dumb. Get over it. It happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

That's the spirit, hippie.
    Ted

Now we know why he gained 20 pounds.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He likes his quesadillas.
    Ted

MLB ERA

I think pot use by atheletes is so common-- especially NBA and NFL players, it would seem-- is because when you're so pumped all of the time, whether it be exersizing each day, team practices, games, etc... they probably crave something to bring them down each day.

I'd rather know that Soto is smoking weed than taking valiums or xanax. I'm surprised there isn't more positives for weed in baseball. Last two I can even remember were Jeremy Jefress (MIL spect) and Anthony Swarzak (this was before he debuted with the Twins, too.. maybe 3 years ago at this point). I'm sure there's been a lot of positives, but those are the only two I even remember.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Milton Bradley seems like he eats weed for breakfast.
    Ted

MLB ERA

As for Soto hitting like this-- it's disheartening. But he was down with a shoulder injury in the early going. He's been heating up lately.. and his defense hasn't seemed to suffer (he made a crucial error to cost us the game a night or two ago-- on the flip side, he gunned out Nate McClouth to end his SB streak at 31 or so a few nights before that).

I think he's just a very young player who is getting used to the longterm strain of an MLB season. He never played that much going into last year, despite being with us for seemingly forever.

I'm sure he used some sort of PED in the minors though. If I had to guess, anyway. He's been around since about 2002, and never really broke through until recently... even if he was on the radar here and there throughout his minor years, it was more because of how bad our farm has been.

He's not going to come close to the numbers from last year... I don't think his rookie year was a fluke by any means, but a sophomore slump isn't surprising to me. Even if he doesn't hit much this year, he's still nice behind the plate and has a gun. The hitting will come around.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

"Look, I have smoked dope one time in my life," Piniella said before the Cubs faced the Chicago White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field. "And it didn't do a damn thing for me, and I never tried it again. I'm fortunate because of that. A lot of people do. You can even buy it in California from a pharmacy.
    And this is why we love Lou Pinella, folks

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

i love lou.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    Who the hell cares who smokes pot? Everyone does it now a days. They really should just legalize it. I don't smoke it at all, i've never even tried it, but honestly, just freakin legalize it. People *****ing about athletes smoking pot is just dumb. Get over it. It happens.
    thats quite the exaggeration. yeah, lots of young people try it nowadays. but a lot of young people do a lot of other stupid illegal shit too.

besides, it wasnt the US people who got after him in this case. This was the overall international sports federation (whatever it is) that is punishing him.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

But for people to go crazy and suspend him for 2 years over smoking pot once is just ridiculous

MLB ERA

marijuana... 20 something year old uses marijuana... this is news why???
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    marijuana... 20 something year old uses marijuana... this is news why???
    My point exactly. It's news because the older generation freaks out about stupid shit like this, and suspends him 2 years.

MLB ERA

He was suspended from what? The next two WBCs?

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat