Thread: Vizcaino DFA'd, Samardzija Called Up

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cubs Vizcaino DFA'd, Samardzija Called Up

Cubs designated RHP Luis Vizcaino for assignment.
    The Cubs were looking to deal Vizcaino this week, but didn't receive much interest. The 34-year-old reliever didn't allow a run in 3 2/3 innings for the Cubs, but the club needed to clear roster space for the arrival of Jeff Samardzija. The Cubs are still on the hook for his $3.5 million 2009 salary.
    Smart move for the Cubs but Samardzija should have been in the pen the whole time. I don't see him making it as a starter but as a reliever. Could be the future closer of the Cubs.

MLB ERA

Re: Vizcaino DFA'd, Samardzija Called Up

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Could be the future closer of the Cubs.
    Not if Carlos Marmol turns out to be as filthy as everyone says he is. I still think Samardzija could be a pretty damn good starter.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    Not if Carlos Marmol turns out to be as filthy as everyone says he is. I still think Samardzija could be a pretty damn good starter.
    not until he develops another pitch to go on top of what he has now. I dont think he has refined a 3rd pitch enough to be an effective starter.

As for marmol and closing, i'm not sure, since he is so damned effective where hes at, and hes pitching more important innings usually. When does lou usually call for marmol? When theres a fire. The only reason you move him to the closer role is to preserve his arm, as thats easier on it than what marmol is currently doing.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think Marmol is fine right where he is. No need turning him into a LaTroy Hawkins. I agree with rockin on Samardzija.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I really can't see how Marmol won't EVENTUALLY be the Cubs closer. His stuff is just so filthy and if he can refine his control but keep his K/9 at the insane rates he has posted (averaged a +12 K/9 over the last two seasons), that is just dominance that I can't see the Cubs ignoring if there are struggles closing out the game. I agree that right now his role is very important and the Cubs are lucky to have such a power arm that can go the innings Marmol can, but I have to think one day the Cubs will just want to have him locked in for the 9th, especially if playoff bound.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Marmol has his chance this spring and just could not win it. Marmol is being used properly for now and maybe one day he will be the everyday closer but that day won't be anytime soon. Gregg did a great job in his last outing against the Cards.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think Marmol needed to go above and beyond to win it this spring as he is so valuable right now. The cynic in me wonders if the Cubs are hoping to establish him in this role, lock him up, and then move him to the closer position without paying the bloated contract a top notch closer gets (and then of course he would be closer to an age where they would start wanting to reduce his innings.)

MLB ERA

The kid worked almost exclusively on his off-speed stuff in Des Moines and in minor-league camp this spring. He has an OK change-up, but the only time he can work on it is in a 10-2 game in the 8th. He should be OK there.
    The Cubs need to define the roles in their bullpen better, IMO.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

samardzija was sent back down after struggling here. He was booed off the mound after a brutal outing on tuesday (when lou trotted out his spring training lineup). Fox was called up.

By the By, i think i would prefer to see bobby scales stick with the team and someone like miles get the boot.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1