Thread: The Koskie Comeback

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cubs The Koskie Comeback

Cubs signed third baseman Corey Koskie to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    It would be great to see Koskie pull off a comeback after 2 1/2 years off due to post-concussion syndrome, but it's probably not going to happen with the Cubs, who already seem to have a set bench with Aaron Miles/Mike Fontenot, Reed Johnson, Joey Gathright, Micah Hoffpauir and Paul Bako. Maybe he'll catch the eyes of another team if he plays well with Team Canada and the Cubs this spring.
    This would make for a good story but my feelings are those of the author's, I doubt it happens but stranger things have happened.

MLB ERA

Re: The Koskie Comeback

I have a hunch I'll see Koskie play in Des Moines this summer. It'll be nice to see him again.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Corey Koskie has called off his comeback, two days after taking himself out of a game because he felt lightheaded.

The 35-year-old third baseman, who spent the first seven of nine big league seasons with the Minnesota Twins, has been at spring training with the Chicago Cubs as a non-roster player. He played in three games, going 1-for-5 with a double. Koskie also was on Canada's roster for the World Baseball Classic.

He took himself out of Thursday's game against Seattle in the third inning. He said Saturday that he asked himself after diving for a grounder: "What am I doing out here?"

Koskie had a concussion in 2006 while playing for Milwaukee and has not appeared in the big leagues since.
    Too bad for Koskie not being able to get over this post concussion syndrome. Jim Edmonds was lucky when he rebounded from it, Mike Matheny and Koskie were not. Makes me wonder about Ryan Church.

MLB ERA

Yeah, it's disappointing to see something like this happen to him, as from what I've read he seems like a nice guy and is a dad to 3 boys. It must be a big adjustment period for him, not being able to play anymore at such a young age...

But on the flipside, he'll be able to focus on being a father, and I'm sure he's financial doing ok... better off than most people are at his age, I'll say that much.

From a personel standpoint, the Cubs had no room for Koskie anyway, and he would've had to sign a MLC with another team and go through this same minor league garbage all over again. From what I read in another article-- for what it's worth-- he has recovered a lot since it happened and was optimistic about his ability to still play, but his heart isn't in risking fate repeating itself and something really bad helping. Can't blame him.

BIZARRE AND MY MOM!!!!!
    u still fat

MLB ERA

I've had an opportunity to talk to Corey a couple of times. He is a really nice guy -- very personable. I was sorry to see him get hurt (again) with the Brewers. He has a lot of talent, but couldn't stay on the field.
    One of his more memorable injuries happened as a baserunner, when a relay throw hit him in the chest. He missed about a week with that one.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon