Thread: Cubs Trade for Heilman

MLB ERA

Trade Cubs Trade for Heilman

For Garret Olson and Ronny Cedeno. Here is a story:
    Chicago Cubs get Seattle Mariners' Aaron Heilman for two players - ESPN
    I like this move on both sides (it favors the Mariners a bit). Olson gets a chance to compete for a starting spot with the Mariners and Cedeno solidifies their infield, offering the ability to play 2B and SS pretty well. Heilman could step in as a starter or work out of the bullpen. He has a lot of major-league experience.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Re: Cubs Trade for Heilman

Hope Heilman didn't buy a house in Seattle
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

I dunno, it just seems like the Cubs are giving up a lot, especially considering they already have Zambrano, Harden, Lilly, Dempster in the rotation and Marmol, Marshall, and Samardzija, Gaudin, Gregg in the pen. It's not like they had much of a need for Heilman, and Olson could have been fine in the 5 spot in the rotation too(if that's what they plan on doing with Heilman).

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

cedeno didnt have much of a spot, and olsen i dont believe was ever in their long term plans. They gave up Pie for Olsen, but he was out of options anyways and likely wasnt going to be much of a contributor.

Not sure if i really like the deal. I'd have preferred it if they could have tried to revive the Peavy talks instead, since olsen was one of the guys who san diego wanted.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

But Cedeno is a solid bench player/injury replacement, and Olson is about the same as Heilman(assuming they move Heilman to the rotation). So, I see no reason to make this deal...

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    But Cedeno is a solid bench player/injury replacement, and Olson is about the same as Heilman(assuming they move Heilman to the rotation). So, I see no reason to make this deal...
    cedeno is a fine defensive shortstop. unfortunately, his bat isnt all that great (though last year was pretty good for him).

And i think HE was out of options too. They have too many infielders as is.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War

MLB ERA

I guess. Just hope Heilman is better than last year, cuz if he doesn't find himself, this could go down as an ugly trade.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    I guess. Just hope Heilman is better than last year, cuz if he doesn't find himself, this could go down as an ugly trade.
    oh i totally agree with you. not so much that they gave up a couple of chips, but that they got nothing in return really.

MLB ERA

The way I see it, Heilman comes in and gets the set-up role for the Cubs. He allows Samardzija a chance to get more experience in the majors without having too much pressure on him. If Marmol has trouble, Heilman could close a few games.
    From the Mariners' side, Cedeno gives them depth in the middle infield and Olson gives them a potential 5th starter. Also, this gives them the option of moving Morrow back into the closer's role.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon