Thread: MLB Says No To Cuban

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cubs MLB Says No To Cuban

ESPN - Report: 'Zero chance' for Mark Cuban to own Chicago Cubs

If Mark Cuban sidles up to fellow Cubs fans at future Wrigley Field games, apparently he'll have to do so as a ticket buyer.

His bid to buy the team from owner Sam Zell? According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Cuban won't even make the final cut if commissioner Bud Selig and Major League Baseball owners have their way.

"There's no way Bud and the owners are going to let that happen," a baseball source told the Chicago Sun-Times earlier this week. "Zero chance."

Zell has yet to shorten the field of five potential buyers who submitted bids of about $1 billion to the Tribune Co. for the Cubs and Wrigley Field. The process has begun to drag: The Cubs were on the market at the start of the 2007 baseball season and a source told the Sun-Times that a deal before Opening Day 2009 is unlikely.
    I think baseball would be making a big mistake as Cuban would bring a new spark to the sport. He's got a lot of money and would be great for Chicago. Cuban is a very outspoken person so you get the good and the bad but I think the good outweighs the bad. I am sure Jim Hendry is happy to hear this because he now won't have to make the terrible moves Cuban would want to make like he does with the Mavericks. Here's something else I found interesting in the article:
    Among the five bidders -- in addition to Cuban, an Internet billionaire and owner of the NBA's Dallas Mavericks -- are the Ricketts family, which founded the brokerage that is now TD Ameritrade Holding Corp.; and a group led by Sports Acquisition Holding Corp. that includes former baseball home run king Henry Aaron and former Republican congressman Jack Kemp.

The Tribune Co. paid $20.5 million for the Cubs in 1981.
    Give Hank a ball team!!

MLB ERA

Re: MLB Says No To Cuban

Cuban is EXACTLY what the Cubs and MLB needs. He is a dedicated owner, and would be exactly what you said Reefer, a spark. He is an extremely smart man, and knows his vote on matters counts, and he makes the most of it. I am a huge, huge proponent of the Cubs going to Mark Cuban. And Reefer's right, MLB would be making a huge mistake not letting him have the Cubs.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I would love to see Mark Cuban involved with baseball...c'mon Bud, let the guy get a shot. Sure he's outspoken but who cares? You don't seem to have a problem with the Steinbrenners. Cuban would be great for the sport, he knows sports, he's involved with his team, he'd inject a little life into them, and who wouldn't love to see him sitting in the Wrigley Field bleachers?
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

This would have made my day. I'd like to see Cuban run one of the sad franchises like the pirates or royals. Dallas sucked before he got to the NBA.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mark Cuban was a bit of a weasel in that he and his business partner took Yahoo's billions while leaving their 100 employees hanging with company stock options that they couldn't sell before the stock price dropped.