Thread: Cubs' Wood needs at least two more rehab starts

AA ERA

Cubs' Wood needs at least two more rehab starts

Cubs' Wood needs at least two more rehab starts
    June 14, 2005

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

CHICAGO -- Kerry Wood will make at least two more rehabilitation starts for Triple-A Iowa before returning to the Cubs' rotation, manager Dusty Baker said Tuesday.

Wood, out since late April with a right shoulder strain, started and pitched three innings in Des Moines on Monday, allowing one run and three hits. He only threw 46 pitches because of a rain delay in the bottom of the third that ended his night an inning early.

Wood will start again Sunday in Nashville. The Cubs want him to hit the 60-pitch mark before throwing 75 to 90 pitches in his third start.

"We were hoping two (starts), but when he had a short one last night because of the rain, that automatically extends it to three," Baker said. "We're looking at three and then we'll re-evaluate at that time. It's not etched in stone that it's three."

Wood had three strikeouts, throwing mostly in the low-90s. He did not throw any curveballs, but only because he usually doesn't throw that pitch early in games, he said.

"I feel great. Everything feels good," Wood said. "I've got normal pitching soreness, so that's always good. It's in the right spots. I've got to get ready to go again in five days."

As long as we have him back by the All-Star break I'm cool with his progress. Sounds like it's going good.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    damn rain problems!

eh, two weeks from now and he will be up.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Hope he will get through at least 5 innings the next start. He needs to cut down on pitches per inning/game.
    LOVE THEE NOTRE DAME!