Thread: Cubs Like Crisp?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cubs Like Crisp?

The Chicago Tribune speculates that the Cubs could be interested in Coco Crisp.
    Acquiring Crisp makes little sense for the Cubs unless they're convinced that Felix Pie isn't ready yet and won't be all season. If given an extended chance to prove himself, Pie is a decent bet to out-produce Crisp for a fraction of the cost.
    It might not make sense but look at what the Cubs could have in 08.

1b- Derek Lee
    2b- Brian Roberts
    SS- Ryan Theriot
    3b- Aramis Ramirez
    LF- Alfonso Soriano
    CF- Coco Crisp
    RF- Fukudome
    C- Geovany Soto

That is one hell of a lineup and defense! I do think they will wind up with Roberts which is why I put him in there. Crisp and Roberts setting the table for Lee, Ramirez and Soriano batting fifth where he should have been all along is just dangerous.

MLB ERA

Re: Cubs Like Crisp?

Crisp just really wouldn't make sense to me. I mean, he's mediocre offensively, and while his speed and defense are nice, I'm not sure it would be worth the cost.

AAA ERA

I'd rather have Pie then Crisp.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pie's not going anywhere. Pie would be in AAA. As far as money goes, the Cubs have shown an open wallet this winter. They could shed some salary in Marquis or Eyre in the deal. Plus Crisp's numbers would likely go up in the NL especially in Wrigley.

MLB ERA

Not really, I mean, he plays in the AL which is the offensive league, and Fenway is fairly conducive to offense. Maybe he shows a little more offense, but I don't know if he really fits anywhere on this team...he just seems different from the rest of the team they have put together.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

How does he seem different? He has speed, defense and doesn't strikeout a lot. Pie hasn't shown anything in the majors and the Cubs don't seem willing to go with Fuld as the everyday CFer. The pitching in the NL Central isn't as good as the AL East so his numbers should go up. Pie is left handed and the Cubs do need that in their lineup but he hasn't shown he can hit. But if they get Roberts they won't need Pie's left handed bat. Just want to know why you don't think he fits. He could bat second or seventh in this lineup.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pie's not going anywhere. Pie would be in AAA. As far as money goes, the Cubs have shown an open wallet this winter. They could shed some salary in Marquis or Eyre in the deal. Plus Crisp's numbers would likely go up in the NL especially in Wrigley.
    Why would you want to put Pie in AAA? He hit .362 there last season. Had a .410 OBP, he has nothing left to prove. He brings GREAT defense, and GREAT range, with a LASER arm regardless of his bat. He's the fastest player on the Cubs, and faster then Crisp. He's still learning, but he needs to learn at the MLB level.

He needs to play everyday, not just a few at bats here and there. Otherwise he'll hit like .220 again or w/e it was he hit in limited at bats. So I'll take the guy with the All-Star potential and his development over Crisp.
    Former GM of...
    S3SL Padres 2017-2030
    SBSL Isotopes 2007-2009
    TSSL Cubs 2006-2018
    TPSL Cubs 2007-2018

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Why not have both?

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Why not have both?
    agreed. they can have both. and if the "cost" is marquis is it really a cost?
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1