Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should Wood become closer in '07?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I think Nick has it right. You have to buy out his contract. Fan interest is key, and the fans do love him. He is the Griffey of the Cubs. He is a guy that can bring the fans to the ballpark, but he just can't stay healthy.

You take that potential and try to use it elsewhere. I see him being one of the more dominant closers in the league if healthy. So why not try it out?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Why not try it out? How long can you keep hoping this guy will come through? He can't keep it together for one day but now he is going to close three days in a row? I know its less pitches but no rest for this guy's arm is hardly a good thing. Not only that but they have Dempster as a closer. Wood has never had good control which is the main key to being a good reliever or closer. If not, you will look like Benitez every night. Cut your losses and get another starter. The bullpen is solid with Eyre and Howry setting up Dempster. Your starters are killing you and getting a left fielder wouldn't hurt.

MLB ERA
    The Cubs have enough live arms that they won't burn 10 million to keep Kerry Wood as a closer. As for the fans, well, home games sell out with or without Wood.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12