Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Derrek Lee Breaks Wrist

MLB ERA
    The worst part is that even when he comes back, the injury will linger and affect his offense. This is pretty much a seasonkiller.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Cubs will bring back Choi to save the day

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    per mlb trade rumors:

Replacing Derrek Lee
    The Cubs have plenty of external options to replace their All-Star first baseman. Still, IvyChat makes a fine point: Jim Hendry has very rarely made trades to cover for injuries (see Nomar, Alex Gonzalez.) Then again, there was one exception (quote from IvyChat):

"What's ironic is that the only reason Hendry received the contract extension was due to a trade he made to fill in for an injury. If not for Korey Patterson's injury, the Cubs win nothing in 2003."

RotoWorld adds that Michael Restovich was out of Triple A Iowa's lineup last night, a possible indication that he will take Lee's roster spot.

The Cubs are probably going to solve this one internally, a move that should cost them 2-3 wins this season. While I liked the Cubs to win the division (I'm an eternal optimist) I didn't like them to win it by more than three games. And the three wins number assumes Lee misses just two months and returns as an All-Star, no sure thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12