Thread: Cubs to Get Clark?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cubs to Get Clark?

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/cubs.asp?id=181107

The name of Arizona’s Tony Clark has come up, especially with Conor Jackson emerging as the Diamondbacks’ primary first baseman. However, Clark is signed through next season to a deal worth a little more than $2 million.
    I say do it because $2 mil isn't bad at all and the Cubs have to put someone over there to help compete with teams like Houston and St. Louis. Todd Walker and John Mabry are not going to come close to filling Lee's shoes for 2 1/2 months.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    dont want him. I'd rather not trade anything of worth to the diamondbacks for someone who probably wont help all that much. He can play first base and thats it.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    But what better options do you guys have at 1B with Lee out? I think I saw Todd Walker playing there the other day. Is that the options you have. Oh yeah, you do have Mabry, who is not better than Clark.

What names have come up in this possible deal?

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    But what better options do you guys have at 1B with Lee out? I think I saw Todd Walker playing there the other day. Is that the options you have. Oh yeah, you do have Mabry, who is not better than Clark.

What names have come up in this possible deal?
    the problem is Clark is not worth two months and giving up prospects. Todd Walker has been good there the past few games. his only problem is that he is a bit short to play there. Mabry is only a part timer there, but between the two of them, I'll live with it for two months.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Thread Killah/Angels Mod riverdunesrat's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin500
    dont want him. I'd rather not trade anything of worth to the diamondbacks for someone who probably wont help all that much. He can play first base and thats it.
    Obviuosly you haven't watched Tony Clark. He is a gamer and comes through in the clutch offensively. Last season he had a better average as a PT player over most all FT players. Why he isn't in the line up baffles me. But once again youth trumps experience and clutch performance. It pains me to watch him sit on the bench. He deserves better than that......perhaps a trade to a team that would appreciate him.....
    GO PADRES AND ANGELS ALL THE WAY IN 2008
    ................http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5347/mlblogo7ld.gif ..................

MLB ERA
    The guy was reborn in Arizona and I watched him come through time after time last year. That and I bet he'd love hitting at Wrigley.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I can't see anyone having to give up much for a guy making a little over a mil. It has been said that he would wave his no trade clause to go to Chitown.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Cubs may pass on Clark:

This and that: Right-hander Kerry Wood is supposed to throw 5 innings today in an Arizona rookie league game as he continues his rehab from shoulder and knee surgeries. … Cubs insiders say they have little or no interest in Arizona first baseman Tony Clark. … The Cubs’ 13-10 mark in April represented the club’s fourth straight winning April. … The Cubs entered Monday with the fewest errors in the National League (10).
    http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/cubs.asp?id=184537

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Apparently the rumor of interest is that if the Yankees do not promote Carlos Pena by a certain date (I can't remember when), then he can become a Free Agent and the Cubs might sign him.
    rf28

AA ERA
    I can't understand why the Cubs wouldn't have more interest in Clark as a replacement for Lee until he is healthy. I mean he is a very affordable player, that really turned things around for himself in Arizona last season and when Lee returns, he adds solid depth to the bench. As long as the Diamondbacks are asking something reasonable in return, I say go for it.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BoSox34
    I can't understand why the Cubs wouldn't have more interest in Clark as a replacement for Lee until he is healthy. I mean he is a very affordable player, that really turned things around for himself in Arizona last season and when Lee returns, he adds solid depth to the bench. As long as the Diamondbacks are asking something reasonable in return, I say go for it.
    Its because Jim Hendry is a complete idiot.
    rf28