Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manny?

Manny?

The Red Sox have only been eliminated for one day, and already I'm hearing rumblings that he won't be with the team next year. I guess he hired a new agent or something to expedite his departure from Boston. With it being well known throughout the league that he would like to leave the Red Sox will probably not get nearly what they should for him. Sox management better think twice before they let this offensive wonder leave. Who are they going to get to replace him? Who has been as dependable of an offesive force for the last 8-10 years as Manny? Ok, so the guy makes almost $20 million per year, but where are the Sox going to spend that $20 million to replace him? At $20 million per year, this guy is a bargain, I can't think of any two seasoned player that the Sox could get for under $20 million that are going to put up the consistent stats that Manny does. The Red Sox better think long and hard before they let this guy go. If they let him go, David Ortiz's production will be about half what it currently is. Just think of the end of the season when teams pitched around Ortiz and Manny tore them apart. The whole offense with suffer greatly, there will be no more "starter gives up 5 runs in 2 innings, but by the 5th Red Sox lead 7-5" Boston better tell Manny, that he's staying put, and let Manny just keep being Manny. Anybody else's thoughts?

Unless the Sox can do an adequate combination of

A) Receiving a clean-up caliber talent in return
    B) Saving money/making the contract situation less restrictive

Manny should remain a Red Sox. Ortiz will simply be walked 150 times a year and hit 20 HRs if Manny is gone and the Sox don't have any real protection behind him. Nixon's capable, but no one's scared of him. Renteria isn't providing protection on the other end either. The Sox need to consider what they will get back. Ditching Manny's 20 million would be nice, but all they would have gotten back this summer would have been a Nixon-esque OF (another #6 hitter) and Mike Cameron. If the Sox are to trade Manny, I want

A) A power-hitting 1B (even if we have to steal Konerko from the White Sox in FA)
    B) Another good player (someone like a Huff to put in LF)
    C) Some money saved (say, 3-4 million to go after a few SP risks) or contract flexibility (if one big contract ended next year0.

If they cannot fulfill those three requirements (good player can mean pitcher too, although there aren't many out there when A.J. Burnett will get 10 mil), then I would not be willing to trade Manny. And if he trades Manny for Beltran, I will officially be off the Theo bandwagon, I'm not kidding.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Rookie ERA
    yea I dont want Papi to turn into Bonds in 04, where he walks almost every AB. If we free up money if we trade him any big name FA's in the OF this year, with some power. I though Carlos Lee was out there but Im not sure.

I've heard the Manny for Beltran rumblings too, and it will look especially attractive if Theo figures Damon will be leaving, but I agree, Manny for Beltran would stink. The Mets would be robbing us, I don't care if they do throw in prospects. Manny is a proven player, one of the best at that.

Even then, we admit Manny is a better player than Beltran, the Sox would be taking a worse contract. Even though Manny is paid about 4-5 million more per year than Beltran, Beltran's remaining deal is twice as long. I think Carlos would be great in Fenway and a Carlos-Ortiz 3-4 would be sweet, but Manny just hits so well...
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    but Manny doesn't want to play for the Sox...just Manny being Manny

Rookie ERA
    We should get a off-season thread going here, cause theres alot of things happening between now and spring training.

MLB ERA
    There will be plenty of time for that as nothing is really going to happen until the playoffs are over anyway. The Sox will be very much involved on both sides...gaining and losing players. It's going to be a different team next year IMO...very different

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Bonds could have had Ortiz hitting behind him and he would still get walked. Replacing Manny with someone like Huff is an awful idea. Carlos Lee has an option which the Brewers would be stupid not to pick up. Brew Crew will be a tough team next year. Red Sox should look for a trade to get Overbay, a cheaper option at first than Konerko. Mets have already said that Cliff Floyd is a keeper so probably no trade with the Mets involving Manny.

MLB ERA
    and the Brewers have said they're keep Overbay as they don't want to put Fielder at 1st yet with the rest of the infield being so inexperienced. The Sox can't expect other teams to bend over and help them. They're not going to get equal value for Manny and they (and you guys) need to understand that.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I wasn't suggesting trading Manny for Overbay. Overbay will be shopped this offseason, there's no doubt about that. They can keep both guys but Overbay will cost more money but not by a lot. Brewers have not ruled out the possiblity of trading Overbay.

MLB ERA
    according to this they will probably keep him:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/MLB_SC-RUMOR

Milwaukee Brewers Updated:10/05/2005
    According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the Brewers will likely keep incumbent Lyle Overbay at first base rather than turn the job over to prospect Prince Fielder. There is some concern that adding Fielder to an infield that is not that experienced as it is would make a playoff push too difficult.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Well this is before the World Series where they can't talk to teams and see what they can get. Point is they haven't ruled it out and won't and he would be a good fit in Fenway.

MLB ERA
    I don't see the Sox being able to offer too much for him as they have many other concerns...their best prospect is a SS, which the Brewers won't need with Weeks.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Red Sox have a guy named Arroyo the Brewer would like to have.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast