Thread: Theo

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Red Sox Theo

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2190948

Boston Red Sox: Theo Epstein, whose contract as Red Sox general manager expires Oct. 31, and the team remain far apart in negotiations, the Boston Globe reported.

The team is reportedly offering a contract worth a little more than the $750,000 made by Chuck LaMar, the recently fired Devils Rays GM.

Epstein has asked for more, although probably not as much as the $2.5 million reportedly rejected by Billy Beane before Epstein got the job three years ago, the Globe reported.
    uh-oh

Rookie ERA
    this isnt a new story, but some one needs to tell Sox Managment to stop low balling they guy, and pay him what he deserves. For all three years he's been here we've made the playoffs, and won a series in one of those years.

If they do not re-sign Theo Epstein...well, the ownership are fvcking idjits (HE MADE A TEAM THAT WON THE WORLD SERIES IN BOSTON FOR CHRIST SAKE) and I may have to find a new team to cheer for primarilly. I'll still watch the Sox of course, but after Duquette and whoeverthehellelse (Gorman?), the Sox more than any other team should realize the value of a good GM.

If he's gone, expect the Phillies to make the playoffs next year with him.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    to be fair he didn't make the whole team as some of the key players were already on the team. And luck played a huge role in last year's ALCS.

Rookie ERA
    True some of the key players were brought in by Duquette, but Theo has rebuilt our minorleaue system. He also seems to have a nice system in place for scouting talent, I mean Hanson and Papelbon are going to contribute in a Major way next season. Im not going to stop cheering for the team if he isnt resigned, but I'll be pissed.

to be fair he didn't make the whole team as some of the key players were already on the team. And luck played a huge role in last year's ALCS.

Of course. Still, he had two (I believe) years here (2003 and 2004), and he acquired over half of the lineup (Kapler, Bellhorn, Mueller, Ortiz, Millar, Cabrera), the most productive SP, the third most productive SP, and pretty much the entire bullpen.

And luck always plays a role in the playoffs, still, he put the talent there to allow the Sox to win the WS.

MLB ERA
    3 of your SP were already there (Pedro, Lowe, and Wake), your starting catcher, CF, and LF. Without them, they would not have won. Yes, he's done a good job, but I'm just saying not everything is due to him or due to him 100%.

Of course not, partially to Duquette as well. But Duquette had years to assemble his side (Damon in 2002 offseason, Lowe and Tek from the Slocumb trade in the late 90's, Manny signing in 2001?, Wake went way back.

Still, he's been here three years and the Sox had three playoff appearences (including a WS and LCS appearence). The last WS was in 1918, the first time ever with three consecutive playoff appearences. There isn't a better GM on the market and only a couple better off (such as Beane, Schuerholtz, possibly Jocketty).

Now, I should note. If they offered him the kind of dough they tried to give Beane and he rejects, then I have no anger about this, but they are offering Chuck Lamar money.

Rookie ERA
    Of course this a rumor but a pretty big one

"New York Post
    According to the Post's George King, if Boston GM Theo Epstein is unable to negotiate a contract extension with the Red Sox, a move to San Diego - where Padres GM Kevin Towers may be on the outs - is a real possibility. And if this scenario plays out, don't be surprised to see Boston ownership take a run at Yankees GM Brian Cashman."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Theo could take Wells with him if he goes to San Diego.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Theo could take Wells with him if he goes to San Diego.
    And risk ruining the suspension on his car?
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.