Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Manny?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Arroyo? Are serious? that guy is not all people want to make him out to be...

He's a career .500 pitcher with ERA over 4.50...you can have him, I wouldn't want him.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The Brewers would love to have him as a fourth starter especially in that division. He will cost less than Overbay and stick him in there with Sheets, Davis and Capuano and that's a good foursome. A number four guy who can get 200 innings would be perfect for any team. Arroyo would be in a place where he can relax and be under the radar and more importantly in the NL.

MLB ERA
    he may be arbitration eligible...which may price him out of their range, too. either way, I don't care who gets Arroyo as long as it's not the A's My point was that the Red Sox won't get equal value for Manny...

MLB ERA
    Manny Ramirez is an older corner OF with a huge contract. That's never easy to move. Boston would have to pay a significant portion of his contract if he were traded to any team that isn't the Mets, and that's probably just not worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

The Sox won't get equal value, and I understand that...but the only team that can realistically take Manny's money on and give back the type of player to make the money work would be New York, and it's simply not worth it. The Sox would have to want something better than Mike Cameron, and the Mets would be stupid to give up a lot more than Mike.

The only way I could accept Manny leaving is if the Sox got a cleanup/#3 caliber hitter in return, which Cameron and Huff are not.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep Manny, pick up a decent 1B. Even a guy like Matt Stairs is an improvement over what Millar gave at 1B (although Olerud could do a similar job and they wouldn't have to pry him off of KC, and yes, I posted this purely to mention Stairs).

If the Sox are going to spend money this offseason, they need to buy a really capable reliever. No more 1 million dollar fixes to fill out a pen. I can deal with a Bradford, Myers, Papelbon, Timlin, Foulke if they go that route in FA, but they need to pick up a good set-up guy to pair with Timlin in the set-up role or a superb MR to put behind Papelbon/Timlin/Foulke (hoping he can get back to old form, even if his attitude sucks).

Personally, I'd be thrilled if they used their money this offseason to acquire a solid (not necessarily Damon) CF, a good 4th OF to have until Kapler comes back (sort of like Payton was), a Dave Roberts type speedster for those situations (not Alejando Machado) for the outfield. A Graffanino-esque MI to simply hold the ground until Pedroia is ready and to back up Youkilis at 3B. Even the starting rotation isn't that bad if healthy, although if they are going to make a big splash with an SP, please avoid Burnett, I don't know, he just doesn't seem like a good signing to me.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    There will be plenty of time for that as nothing is really going to happen until the playoffs are over anyway.
    The most important thing happens between now and Oct 31, theo's contract is up on the 31st. We need to resign him, and from the reports I've read their not that close.

MLB ERA
    Are there other GM openings? Texas had one and filled it right away. Anyone else?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Watching Damon throw from the outfield makes me sick to my stomach. Finding a CFer will be a tough task if the Sox can't resign Johnny. There is simply not a lot out there.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Are there other GM openings? Texas had one and filled it right away. Anyone else?
    Tampa Bay has one now. If Washington is sold, there might be another one.

MLB ERA
    right, I remember hearing about TB now that you mention it.

That is definitely the first priority. Don't play Hardball with Theo, give him whatever the hell he wants and let him do his job.

However, if they do trade Manny, I could certainly live (not be thrilled, but live) with a defensive lineup like...

C: Varitek
    1B: Durazo (It goes from Konerko to a massive drop, and when Millar could be the 2nd best 1B on the market, the Sox may consider moving David Ortiz to first and finding a DH elsewhere. If they don't go Durazo, I wouldn't be shocked to see Millar back or Ortiz at first and Reggie Sanders (or someone like him) at DH).
    2B: Graffanino (at least until Pedroia is ready)
    3B: Youkilis
    SS: Renteria
    LF: Brian Giles
    CF: Mike Cameron
    RF: Nixon
    DH: Ortiz (see 1B)

Admittedly not as potent at the lineup last year, but the Sox get a lot cheaper on offense and I think Giles will be even better than he was this year outside of Petco. The lineup could be like

1. Renteria
    2. Youkilis
    3. Giles
    4. Ortiz
    5. Nixon
    6. Varitek
    7. Cameron
    8. Durazo/Sanders
    9. Graffanino (re-sign)

Two obvious problems are the lack of a real leadoff hitter or a player with a lot of pop to complement Ortiz, but considering Manny and Damon would get at least 30 million combined next year, and that could be what something like Giles + Sanders/Durazo + 2 good pitchers would cost, well...

As for the staff, I could deal with

SP:
    Schilling
    Wells
    Clement
    Wakefield
    Arroyo (or he could be moved to the bullpen, and the free agent could be signed here)

Bullpen
    Foulke
    Timlin
    Papelbon
    Myers
    Bradford
    Eyre/Tavares/Seanez/etc.

Really, that's just the cheapest option. The Sox could always re-sign Damon (dangerous as hell though) and then have a real lead-off guy and make Cameron the DH if Manny was traded.

Even if he's not traded, then there's another scenario for that.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Rookie ERA
    Are they goin to keep Papelbon in the Pen or might he become a starter next season. I really want Damon to come back, he wasnt 100% the last few weeks, and is a big part of our offense, I dont think Cameron would be a good replacement.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Durazo is like having ortiz at first plus he is coming off TJ surgery.

The Sox can't expect other teams to bend over and help them. They're not going to get equal value for Manny and they (and you guys) need to understand that.
    EXACTLY!!!!!! I myself understand that, and for that same reason, I will be very upset if Manny isn't wandering around in Fenway's left field next year. I wouldn't be against trading him if it were for equal value, but the Sox are going to take a hosing if they trade him, no doubt about it.

As far as getting rid of him to reduce salary... It's a good idea, but only if that money will be used wisely elsewhere, and the FA crop this year is weak, so they aren't going to be able to replace him, or improve enough in another area, say pitching to make up for his loss. They need to tell Manny that he isn't going anywhere, period, and by the start of next season, he will have accepted it, and will be his normal self. Let's face it, the guy doesn't seem to get too upset about anything.

MLB ERA
    What about trading for a guy like Sean Casey from my Reds for a copule pitching spects or ready young starters?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast