Thread: Reliever call-up, outfielder call-up, and an old friend returns.

Reliever call-up, outfielder call-up, and an old friend returns.

First

Gabe Kapler's (back) last game at Triple-A will likely be Friday.
    Kapler may return to the Red Sox as soon as this weekend. ''He really seems excited, which is good,'' manager Terry Francona said. ''He must have had a hell of a time in Japan.''

When he gets back, it pretty much officially makes the Jay Payton to Oakland deal free for the Sox. Essentially trading Bradford for nothing (although the trade to get Payton turned out crappy, at least Pauley is looking good in Portland). He was a solid bat for the last two years and will be a welcome addition off the bench.

The Red Sox are expected to call 23-year-old Manny Delcarmen up from Triple-A today.
    To make room on the roster, Boston will reportedly demote John Halama, Adam Hyzdu or Jeremi Gonzalez. Delcarmen will work out of the bullpen.

The Sox could use a big-time fastball in their pen. Schilling's the only hard thrower now that Mantei is on the DL, so another one in middle relief can help. My hope is that this goes better than Cla Meredith's stay.

and...

Rich Garces has signed with the Red Sox and is attempting a comeback.
    As you might except from El Guapo, a fan favorite because of his considerable size, he is not quite in playing shape. ``I've heard he's big,'' manager Terry Francona said, ``and I heard he's throwing the ball great.''

IT'S EL GUAPO! YES! Sure he's massive, but for a few years he was the cog in the Sox middle-relief. Always a fun guy to watch and, as Rotoworld says, a fan favorite.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    considering Payton is playing well for us and we got another setup guy, it's worked out for the A's, too. I'd take Payton over Kapler

Yep, he's been doing great as a starter in Oakland, so it works there as well. I'm happy since the Sox need some RP and the A's are happy since Payton's raking.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    "Rich Garces has signed with the Red Sox and is attempting a comeback."

**** YES! YES! The only acceptable Red Sox player in the world... is Rich Garces.

Though I'm beginning to like Papi's fattyness.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Trades by definition are supposed to work out for both sides. Payton was useless for the Red Sox, considering he didn't want to play for us anymore.

Yay for Delcarmen being the only pitcher on the Sox staff tonight not to give up an ER (but that bloop off of Schilling by Lee was a pure luck shot). Nice debut.