Thread: Schilling to the bullpen?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Schilling to the bullpen?

Best Damn just mentioned that this move is in order and it sounded like it was a sure thing. Anyone heard anything about this?

Yep, we were discussing it a bit in an unrelated topic, but this is pretty big. There's no reason to risk Schilling throwing 100+ balls a game when he's willing to close, and he could help stabilize a pen that is relying on long starts (Clement went 8 2/3 and gave up 4 runs before Embree closed the door) too much. They called up Scott Cassidy, but he won't be the help a Schilling type would be.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

1st round draft pick voodoomon1jd's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    Good move by the Red Sox. Do you think they will pursue a closer before the deadline?
    I am thinking Schilling needs to start in the event the Red Sox make the post season, ok WHEN the Red Sox make the post season.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    I don't think they will pursue a closer necessarily but they definitely are going after bullpen help. Schilling isn't the long term answer, and why would he? If he's 100% and ready to go, the best place to utilize him is at the front of the rotation. Obviously right now he's not, so it's an interesting way to help him get back to form and to strengthen a weakness on the Sox in the short term.

Arroyo will probably end up in the pen, won't he?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

I think Arroyo is the popular choice. Wells and Miller have been worse, but Arroyo has experience and Miller's past issues would worry me having to get up 3-4 times a week.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.