Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clement very disappointed in All-Star Snub

Clement very disappointed in All-Star Snub

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...n_for_clement/

Terry Francona was crushed, Matt Clement was heartbroken, and even though the Red Sox have four players starting in this year's All-Star Game, the team was disappointed.

Clement won't be pitching in this year's Midsummer Classic in Detroit, and, ultimately, it was Francona's decision, in conjunction with Major League Baseball, that left him off the roster.

The Sox manager and this year's American League skipper took Anaheim's Bartolo Colon rather than Clement when rounding out the roster with his choices, which determined the last five players.

''The people didn't think I'm good enough to be there so I'm not going to be there," said Clement, whose 9-2 record and 3.82 ERA many thought would be enough not only for a spot but possibly a start.

''That's it. It's disappointing. You think you deserve to be there and you're not. You turn the page. The Lord has a plan for you. You just stay confident in that. Obviously, I'm not good enough to be there."

As a biased Sox fan, I really wish he would have made it. He had a tough game at Toronto which inflated his ERA and I know Colon was better, but Clement has been very good this year and been a main cog in the first place status of the team.

Also, I REALLY hope this doesn't hurt his confidence. He obviously thought he deserved it and if he loses his momentum or confidence because of this, it could be really bad.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

It will probably only motivate him for the second half.

AA ERA
    Clement should have made it and I am shocked that he didn't. I know Tito wanted him in for sure. Here's hoping Selig makes Kenny Rogers not go to the ASG after his tussle with the media. Kenny shouldn't go after his act. I think that punishment fits the crime IMO.

I think this could be an issue between Matt and Terry. Not to be the negative guy here but it is his own manager that had some say.

I hope for his sake that it motivates him but I feel it could hurt the confidence that he feels Terry in him.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Sox got more than enough All-Stars...you'll both get over it

Boo freaking hoo...a Red s0k didn't make the Allstar Game..cry me a river.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

I'm not concerned about him not making the ASG, I'm concerned that it could effect his regular season performance.

I don't think it will, and it shouldn't.

MLB ERA
    if it does, then he's got bigger issues

Word.

MLB ERA
    he should be more worried about the success of the team and not individual rewards...what a team player!

The interview seems to display confidence issues to begin with. If he believes he's not good enough to be there, he might lose confidence in being the #2 pitcher on the Sox when Schill gets back or the #1 right now. It's feasible, many pitchers have confidence issues. I know Derek Lowe did.

Who says he can't be concerned with both. All he can do is worry about his performance which will effect the team. I'm not saying he'll dwell on this, only that it might bother him that his manager chose another pitcher over him when given the chance. That's all.

MLB ERA
    Lowe had an ERA over 5.00 last year...he should be concerned. Clement is doing fine...I wouldn't want to be at the All-Star Game anyway, it's a joke

MLB ERA
    Colon had better numbers...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast