Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In Theo I Trust

MLB ERA

Re: In Theo I Trust

2006: Jeter 154 games played, A-rod 154 games played, Cano 122 games played
    2007: Jeter 156 games played, A-rod 158 games played, Cano 160 games played
    2008: Jeter 150 games played, A-rod 138 games played, Cano 159 games played

So, Cano may have been hurt in 2006(I don't even remember), and A-rod was hurt last year, but none of the 3 have missed significant time more than 1 of the last 3 seasons.

MLB ERA

I thought it was more than that okay fair enough i take back the jeter part, the other 2 have gotten hurt before (Arod was on DL in 08)
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Both teams have injury issues so the bench will be very key. The Red Sox have Ortiz, Drew, Beckett, Schilling and Lowell. The Yankees have Joba, Hughes, Posada, Matsui and Burnett. The Rays have their issues too so depth is very important and what the Yankees lacked last year.

MLB ERA

Just because A-Rod went on the DL once in the last 3 years doesn't mean he's injury prone or has injury problems that's just ridiculous. I'm glad you took Jeter's back too. And same with Cano, how's he injury prone because he missed 40 games 3 years ago? Injuries happen, just because someone gets injured doesn't automatically label them as injury prone
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    NO CC, no problem
    NO AJ, no problem
    NO Tex, no problem

Why? We don't need any of these guys cause we don't have huge holes created by mismanaging a farm system for a decade.

CC and AJ are very good, we have great arms in Lester, Masterson, Buchholz, Bowden, maybe they won't ever reach CC level, but 2 or 3 of these guys could make AJ level

Tex is very good, but Lars Anderson is developing nicely and will be a good replacement for youk in 2011 (if he moves back to 3B or leaves)

Theo has delivered us 2 rings, great decisions letting damon and pedro go.

IN THEO I TRUST

he really delivered one ring, that 1st title team was already in place and "bought" according to the standards of the folks who are whining about the Yanks trying to buy one.

MLB ERA

We went out and got a guy via a trade, who did we buy in 04? And most of it was setup by him in 2002 and 2003
    MSLSeattle0001

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Epstein did in fact build that '04 team. One of his first acts as GM was grabbing David Ortiz who no one wanted. Traded for Schilling and Orlando Cabrera and they won a WS. The Yankees choke had a lot to do with it too.

MLB ERA

I honestly think Theo Epstein, as much as I hate his guts, is one of the best, if not the best GM in the league. He's both (relatively) thrifty, and effective. He knows what he's doing.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He just understands the balance of free agents and farm system better than anyone in the game.

MLB ERA

I completely agree

AAA ERA

We went out and got a guy via a trade, who did we buy in 04? And most of it was setup by him in 2002 and 2003
    Boston had ONE homegrown guy in their lineup on the 2004 team. The team was "bought".

He took over in the offseason of '02/'03. He inherited most of the '04 team. he's done a great job but he walked into a great spot in Boston and got a little lucky w/ the union not allowing ARod to take a pay cut or else ARod would have been w/ the Sox in '04 and Manny would have been gone and Boston would still be searching for a Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Epstein did in fact build that '04 team. One of his first acts as GM was grabbing David Ortiz who no one wanted. Traded for Schilling and Orlando Cabrera and they won a WS. The Yankees choke had a lot to do with it too.
    He didn't build it, he finished off the building. He put the star on the Christmas tree. That team was very close when he took over, he made a great move to get ortiz then get Schilling but if not for some luck he would have had ARod and gotten rid of Manny after '03.

He built the 2nd Championship and he's probably the best GM in the game but let's not rewrite history about the '04 team.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No one is rewriting history about the '04 team, simply stating fact. Without Epstein, it doesn't happen. Esptein was the genius behind that squad. Epstein was the brains behind signing Ortiz, getting Schilling, trading beloved Nomar in midseason and getting Orlando Cabrera. Lets not forget the Keith Foulke signing. Where were the Red Sox before they got a real closer? Exactly. Epstein built the winner in '04 even if a few pieces were in place before he got there. History shows this. No one needs to rewrite it. Epstein is the brains behind bringing Boston a title twice.

MLB ERA

Since they've had multiple injuries in the last 3 years
    So have Josh Beckett, Dice-K, Tim Wakefield, Jon Lester, Varitek, Youkilis, JD Drew and Ortiz
    I thought it was more than that okay fair enough i take back the jeter part, the other 2 have gotten hurt before (Arod was on DL in 08)
    Oh no! A player went on the DL! He's injury prone!
    Quote Originally Posted by NYgiantsfan5689 View Post
    Just because A-Rod went on the DL once in the last 3 years doesn't mean he's injury prone or has injury problems that's just ridiculous. I'm glad you took Jeter's back too. And same with Cano, how's he injury prone because he missed 40 games 3 years ago? Injuries happen, just because someone gets injured doesn't automatically label them as injury prone
    Exactly
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    No one is rewriting history about the '04 team, simply stating fact. Without Epstein, it doesn't happen. Esptein was the genius behind that squad. Epstein was the brains behind signing Ortiz, getting Schilling, trading beloved Nomar in midseason and getting Orlando Cabrera. Lets not forget the Keith Foulke signing. Where were the Red Sox before they got a real closer? Exactly. Epstein built the winner in '04 even if a few pieces were in place before he got there. History shows this. No one needs to rewrite it. Epstein is the brains behind bringing Boston a title twice.
    Whatever. The premise of this thread had a snide remark about the Yankees farm system...CJ seems to think that because they have Lowrie, Ellsbury, Youkilis, Pedroia and Lester as home grown guys they've done better than the Yankees, who have Posada, Jeter, Cano, Gardner/Melky, Joba and Wang.

So whatever. We've been so goddamned negligent that last year was the first time we missed the playoffs in 14 years.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313 View Post
    Whatever. The premise of this thread had a snide remark about the Yankees farm system...CJ seems to think that because they have Lowrie, Ellsbury, Youkilis, Pedroia and Lester as home grown guys they've done better than the Yankees, who have Posada, Jeter, Cano, Gardner/Melky, Joba and Wang.

So whatever. We've been so goddamned negligent that last year was the first time we missed the playoffs in 14 years.
    You are forgetting Masterson/Papelbon/Buchholz/Delcarmen

I would argue the whole red sox list is better... plus posada and jeter are getting old now...if you are looking at current systems we are better. Its why we win now, and you guys won in the past when you had the good system.

The key to winning the WS (look at Boston, Florida, Philly, St. Louis, LAA) is that they all have strong farm systems. Its also the reason the Braves won the NL East for 14 straight years
    MSLSeattle0001

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313 View Post

So what the **** is our point on the subject? All I see is a bunch of Yankee whining!! To deny the Yankees have been negligent with their farm over the past few years is like trying to deny there is no gravity. The Yankees failed to reach the postseason because of the negligence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast