Glenn: Hey Nick, What do you think the Red Sox will do before the July 31st trade deadline? Blockbuster trade, minor trade or stand pat? What players would possilbly be involved if any trade would take place?

Nick Cafardo: My gut feeling is they will do something minor only because they're so protective of their prospects. Compared to their competition, they're already one of the deepest teams so they don't need to do much unless they honestly believe David Ortiz won't come back with his usual power. But they certainly have their scouts out there watching lefties like Damaso Marte, Ron Mahay and Brian Fuentes. I'm they're looking at shortstops as well.
John: With Lugo out ... I would love to see the Sox make a move for Jack Wilson of the Pirates and while they are at it include Demaso Marte in the deal for the bullpen ... Wilson would make us a TREMENDOUS defensive team up the middle!

Nick Cafardo: I like that thinking. Sox have scouts watching the Pirates, but Marte is more the focus. They'd like to see what Lowrie can do.
Source: Q&A with Nick Cafardo - Extra Bases - Red Sox blog

We've heard whispers of this even before Lugo went down, so what do we make of it? Obviously, this team would love to rid itself of Lugo, but it appears they don't have much faith in Lowrie. Are they looking for a solution for only the rest of the season, that would allow them to return Lowrie to AAA or release Cora? Are they looking for a long-term solution?