Thread: As if it wasn't hard enough...

MLB ERA

As if it wasn't hard enough...

Jon Lester revealed that not only did he have cancer, but his father as well. This time, however, it's a bit more serious.

"It's something he will die with, not die from" said Lester. He was diagnosed with lymphoma last month, and is undergoing treatment. The story was kept solely between the Lesters and manager Terry Francona, but Jon wanted to get it off his chest.

Here's the amazing thing about this story: the morale of this family and the attitude they carry is absolutely incredible. There is only a positive outlook from all of them. Here are a few quotes that I find incredibly telling:

"He's (Mr. Lester) telling everyone ... like he won a prize," Jon Lester said. "It makes him feel better to sit there and talk about it. He can tell people, you know what, I have cancer, I'm doing great, everything is going to be good."

"He didn't know that you could do the things that you want to do with the disease and still live a normal life while you have it. ... I think that gave him a positive outlook," Lester said.

(when talking about his new figure as a role model)
    "It's weird, it definitely is," Lester said. "Like I've said before, it's not my personality to take credit for anything and to do that," Lester said. "When people come up to me and say you're an inspiration or you've helped me get through this, it means a lot to me but they may not get the reaction they want. But like I said I'm learning how to deal with it."

What an amazing kid. I look up to him more than any other single person in baseball, absolutely. Never though I'd say that about a member of the Red Sox, but when it comes to a story like this, party lines go completely out the window (unless you're BronxBombers of course )
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

Closed
    AAA ERA

Re: As if it wasn't hard enough...

He is an amazing person. He is also so fan friendly and always has time to sign autographs before and after the games. A lot of negative press has come out about the Sox , but this team really does have a great group of guys. Even guys like Manny who can do some things that can get on peoples nerves, but he from what I have experienced is always joking with the fans and tossing balls into the crowd during BP.

I may be a bit biased since I was initiated into the Redsox Nation the day I was born by my dad, but I love these guys and there attitude. Just look at the beginning of the season when the players refused to board the plane to Japan until the League agreed to compensate the coaches and trainers. This organizatio really supports each other from the top all the way down to the clubhouse attendants.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I was going to pull a "That's what she said" in regards to the headline but now I find that this is a serious thread. The Lester family has been through a lot but hopefully Jon's dad is as much of a fighter as Jon is.

Closed
    AAA ERA

The story is just starting to develop around here , but he seems like a person that just may beat this. What a strong family the Lesters must be.