Thread: ESPN can get Papi out...

Want a moustache ride? BrewerBall13's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

ESPN can get Papi out...

Based on Ortiz' slow start to the year, ESPN's "inside edge" scouting report puts forth the idea that Oakland pitchers have been able to get him out by pitching him outside more than the rest of the league.

Now, what exactly do they base this on on? It turns out that 30% of the 2,000 or so pitches Papi saw all last season were off the plate, versus 33% of the 39 pitches thrown to him by Oakland pitchers in Japan. The sample size problem with this analysis is so enormous, it's laughable, yet that doesn't stop ESPN from concluding with this ridiculous zinger: "Watch to see whether Ortiz starts turning on pitches the way he usually does. Also keep an eye on whether Papi gets frustrated and starts reaching for outside pitches."

Aside from the absurd sample size issue with this "scouting report"...and maybe this is stating the obvious... but if success against Papi were as easy as pitching him outside, wouldn't pitchers have started doing it 5 years ago?

MLB ERA

Re: ESPN can get Papi out...

this is ridiculous at best. I agree with you. Papi's not even slumping yet per-say, and they're already all over him. It's 11 freakin at-bats! Everyone needs to take a chill and realize this is David Ortiz, and that he'll be fine.

If keeping him at bay really is as easy as pitching him outside, then I declare all baseball scouts, GM's, managers, and players legally retarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

I sure am glad ESPN was able to enlighten us with there superior baseball knowledge. He's on pace to have the worst batting average possible! and no home runs! He really has fallen off lately.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

I'm here to enlighten you with my superior grammatical knowledge: "there" is a place. "their" is possessive. Therefore, ESPN enlightens us with their superior baseball knowledge.

(kidding, kidding)

I don't believe in their, I just believe in me.

LeagueTeam NameDIVWCWSSince
    TBSLCINCINNATI REDS0002010
    SBSLKANSAS CITY MONARCHS2102008
    TPSLLOS ANGELES ANGELS3012007
    S3SLSEATTLE MARINERS1002026
    GET NOTICED.

well put dopp. well put.