Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox Nation

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Red Sox Red Sox Nation

Hank Steinbrenner has provided his share of Boss-like comments in the offseason, his first as one of the principal leaders running the New York Yankees.
    He's made verbal digs at former manager Joe Torre and inserted himself during the contract negotiations with Alex Rodriguez, as well as the race for the services of pitcher Johan Santana.
    The latest, no doubt, will send Boston Red Sox fans into a frenzy.
    Steinbrenner, apparently trying to emphasize that he has no fear of the Yankees' American League competition, has amped up the rivalry between the two teams, intentionally or not.
    "Red Sox Nation?" What a bunch of [expletive] that is," he said in an interview with The New York Times' Play magazine. "That was a creation of the Red Sox and ESPN, which is filled with Red Sox fans.
    "Go anywhere in America and you won't see Red Sox hats and jackets, you'll see Yankee hats and jackets. This is a Yankee country. We're going to put the Yankees back on top and restore the universe to order."

I am new to the forums and love the Red Sox. Born and raised in New England, how can you not love the Sox. This article is from espn.com and has some retarded comments from Hank "the but crank" Steinbrenner. Boy is he an Idiot!!! I have been all over the U.S. and I see Red Sox stuff EVERYWHERE.

AAA ERA

Re: Red Sox Nation

You have seen Red Sox stuff since 2004, there was no such thing as "Red Sox Nation" pre-2004.

MLB ERA

It was there, just not widely publicized.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

It was there pre-2004, just after they won in '04 the number grew greatly. I'm not a fan of bandwagon jumpers and fair weather fans. That's the one and only thing that I don't like about the Red Sox success as of late, is you see all these people walking around with Red Sox and Jackets. Where were they through the 86 years of misery (25 for me personally)? They give us true fans a bad name. I guess that comes as part of the price of success though. I guess I'd rather tolerate the fair weather fans than go years and years without winning.

As far as Hank Steinbrenner, he's a moron. I do believe though that there are more "true" Yankee fans than their are "true" Red Sox fans across the nation. True meaning not bandwagoneers or fair weather wannabe's.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

I thought it was hysterical...Hanks an idiot and just says whatever's on his mind. It's funny to hear whether or not it's true.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    It was there, just not widely publicized.
    It was sporadic pre '04. I travel alot and the differenc ein Red Sox hats and apparel from even the summer of '04 to the summer of '05 was amazing, it has cooled off the last few years and when I go away next month I am expecting another barrage of Sox gear.

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    It was sporadic pre '04. I travel alot and the differenc ein Red Sox hats and apparel from even the summer of '04 to the summer of '05 was amazing, it has cooled off the last few years and when I go away next month I am expecting another barrage of Sox gear.
    NYJunc,
    When you go on your trip and see these people, take the time to ask them three quick questions...
    1. Prior to 2004, what year was the last time the Red Sox won a World Series?
    2. Who played 1st Base for the Red Sox in the 1986 World Series?
    3. Who was pitching in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS when the Yankees tied the Game in the 8th inning?

If they can't answer all three of those simple questions, you have my permission to knock the hat off their head, or rip that shirt off their back.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Anyone hear John Henry's response? Not gonna lie, I thought it was pretty damn funny.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    I thought it was hysterical...Hanks an idiot and just says whatever's on his mind. It's funny to hear whether or not it's true.
    I agree. I thought the ESPN anchor (don't remember who it was) summed it up perfectly. He said "you expect to hear the Star Wars Imperial March after a quote like that." Hilarious. Hank is my new hero, just because he said what was on many Yankee fan's mind to the media is such a ridiculous way. I agree to some extent that pre maybe 2003 or so, there were only die-hard Red Sox fans. Now they've become one of the biggest bandwaggon teams ever. But that's only natural, it happens with other teams besides just the Red Sox. Hank just called em out on it. And whatever, I don't think people should take it literally. Just take it with a grain of salt and appreciate the hilarity of the comment
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

I think the problem with Hank's comments are that, theres no real way to classify it. The thing is, if you're only talking about diehard fans, you must take into account that the Yankees in the late 90's and 2000's were one of the most popular teams to jump on the bandwagon of. So, in that regard, you can't differentiate between the two because they are in many ways the same team in different cities. And if he's talking about all fans, then he's again not really differentiating them from the Sox. So, basically, I think Hank needs to just shut his mouth, because its getting to be clear that he's just not that bright

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Lance324 View Post
    NYJunc,
    When you go on your trip and see these people, take the time to ask them three quick questions...
    1. Prior to 2004, what year was the last time the Red Sox won a World Series?
    2. Who played 1st Base for the Red Sox in the 1986 World Series?
    3. Who was pitching in Game 7 of the 2003 ALCS when the Yankees tied the Game in the 8th inning?

If they can't answer all three of those simple questions, you have my permission to knock the hat off their head, or rip that shirt off their back.
    Those are easy questions, i'd ask them some Spike Owen or Marty Barrett questions

Bandwagon fans come w/ winning. I hate bandwagon fans but I want my team to have them b/c it means we are winning. The Sox have won 2 in 4 years, they deserve whatever attention they are getting.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

This just gave ESPN another reason to talk up this rivalry and waste more baseball fans time. I like this rivalry but it hasn't been the same since 04 when the Red Sox finally won and we saw the Yankees pull off the biggest choke of all-time. I don't mind any of the comments but how much coverage do you need Hank? Don't knock ESPN since they play every ******* Red Sox/Yankees games which brings in even more money for you and your daddy.

Those are easy questions, i'd ask them some Spike Owen or Marty Barrett questions

Bandwagon fans come w/ winning. I hate bandwagon fans but I want my team to have them b/c it means we are winning. The Sox have won 2 in 4 years, they deserve whatever attention they are getting.
    Yeah, I said the questions were simple, only want to weed out the really knowledgeless. I like Ol' Marty, didn't care for Spike though. I liked Oil Can Boyd too, even though he was really a bum. You wanting to ask tougher questions like about Marty and Spike makes me think you are just wanting to rip up Red Sox Memorabilia, and smack some Sox fans, LOL.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Red Sox Re: Red Sox Nation

The bandwagon fans do come with winning but those people are not true sports fans. Those kind of idiots hop on every winning teams wagon and the only good thing is the money they spend on mechandise. Thats all. I was born and raised in Red Sox Nation and love every season with the Sox....Especially when they beat the snot out of the Yanks. Greatest rivalry in all of sports!!!

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bazzo View Post
    The bandwagon fans do come with winning but those people are not true sports fans. Those kind of idiots hop on every winning teams wagon and the only good thing is the money they spend on mechandise. Thats all. I was born and raised in Red Sox Nation and love every season with the Sox....Especially when they beat the snot out of the Yanks. Greatest rivalry in all of sports!!!
    They never beat the snot out of the Yanks, the time they beat us in the ALCS was 4 games to 3 and the div was only a few games last year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast