Thread: Schilling's Done?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Schilling's Done?

The Boston Herald reports that Curt Schilling may need surgery for what's likely either a rotator cuff or labrum injury.
    Schilling is done after this year, so we don't see why he'd undergo surgery. Unless he's reconsidering and wants to extend his career beyond 2008, then he'll have to try to pitch through the problem. According to the Herald, the Red Sox are already exploring the possibility of voiding Schilling's contract. They could decide to make a run at Kyle Lohse or take a flier on Bartolo Colon or Freddy Garcia if they don't think Schilling will make it back.
    I would say this is a big deal but the Red Sox pitching is so deep that it's really not. They don't need to sign any of those awful players mentioned. I just wonder if the Red Sox knew this back when the Santana talks first started. It's a blow to the team but just not as big of a blow. Two years ago it would have been but not now.

MLB ERA

Re: Schilling's Done?

The first issue is the extent of the injury. If he has no intention of pitching beyond this year, he could contribute in a limited capacity, much like Al Leiter did with the Marlins.

However, I seriously doubt the Red Sox would void his contract. Unless he withheld information from the team, the goal of Boston would be to seek insurance compensation or some sort of injury settlement with Schilling.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

My brother's name is Bucky.

MLB ERA

Schilling has had a very good career and can leave on a good note. He has nothing to prove to anyone.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

I almost expected this. I do however disagree with you Reefer, I think they should try and get somebody just to eat innings. The only reason I say this is that there is little doubt in my mind that Wakefield will go down before the season is over. I don't expect Curt to ever pitch again. I can't say that I'll miss his mouth, and all the controversy he brings to the team by the fact that he doesn't know when to keep it shut.

MLB ERA

From the looks of it, he may be back around the ASB.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Beckett, Dice K, Lester, Buchholz, and Wakefield is still a better rotation than the Yankees. Why go out and waste money on a shitty starter? If one of them goes down, they can bring someone up or make a trade.