Thread: Schilling to be a Ray?

MLB ERA

Schilling to be a Ray?

Curt Schilling's comments during his weekly radio appearance on WEEI 850 AM that he wouldn't mind landing with the Rays next season have sparked interest all around.

The 40-year-old starter, who has yet to come to terms on a contract extension with the Red Sox, said he was merely keeping his options open.

He's compiled a short list of teams he'll begin correspondence with should his Red Sox career not pan out, and the Rays were mentioned.

"I love Tampa, I love the area, I love everything about it," he told WEEI on Tuesday. "Knowing that I'm probably going to spend one more year playing, if circumstances happen and things happen and they made some moves that were positive, I'd love nothing more than to finish my career working on a pitching staff where I know that there are young guys that are going to be positively impacted by me being around [after] I was gone.

"I enjoy that. I love working and talking and being around young pitchers."

Sox manager Terry Francona didn't have much to say in response to Schilling's comments.

"I didn't hear it myself. ... I heard about it third-hand, and that's a dangerous way to respond to something," Francona said. "As a blanket statement, I'd much rather just try to win games and let free agency come when it's supposed to."
    The Official Site of The Boston Red Sox: News: Boston Red Sox News

YES! This would be a dream come true for Curt to leave the Sox, I know the Yankees would still have to do with him but its awesome because the Red Sox wouldn't get to use him. The thing that would make things even better if one of those teams he was considering was the Yankees. Prolly not but its wishful thinking. Oh well just as long as he gets out of Boston.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Schilling to be a Ray?

hahahahaha... Yeah, like Schilling would ever go to Tampa to pitch. That funny!!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Schilling to be a Ray?

It would be great for baseball if he did. Imagine Kazmir, Schilling then Sheilds and no Edwin Jackson. The Rays have the offense,

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19 View Post
    hahahahaha... Yeah, like Schilling would ever go to Tampa to pitch. That funny!!!
    "I love Tampa, I love the area, I love everything about it," he told WEEI on Tuesday. "Knowing that I'm probably going to spend one more year playing, if circumstances happen and things happen and they made some moves that were positive, I'd love nothing more than to finish my career working on a pitching staff where I know that there are young guys that are going to be positively impacted by me being around [after] I was gone.

"I enjoy that. I love working and talking and being around young pitchers."
    Call me crazy but I think I don't know though I think Curt Schilling said that. I'm not sure though.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

Product of the Boombap
    Rookie ERA

As long as he's not in Boston, I'll be fine.

MLB ERA

Why don't you want Schilling?

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think Schilling's time in Boston is up after this season. Schilling is getting up there in years and is becoming a health risk. Let Schilling die with the Devil Rays like another Boston great Wade Boggs.

Product of the Boombap
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by BuckFoston View Post
    Why don't you want Schilling?
    He's getting old and fragile and I know he'll expect big money. Add to that his continued loss of mph on his pitches and that makes it not worth it to me. He still has unbelievable control, but I'd be fine seeing him leave.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He was asking $13 mil/yr.

Product of the Boombap
    Rookie ERA

Exactly.