Thread: O's Nab Wieters From GT

Orioles O's Nab Wieters From GT

With the fifth pick in today's Major League Baseball amateur draft, the Orioles selected Georgia Tech catcher Matt Wieters, a switch-hitter who could reach the majors within the next two years.

Wieters has drawn comparisons to Minnesota Twins catcher Joe Mauer, the first overall pick in the 2001 draft, who won the American League batting title last season.

"We're very pleased, very happy and glad it's over," Orioles scouting director Joe Jordan said. "It's exciting. Obviously, he's a guy who was very high on our board and we took the player we wanted."

Wieters batted .358 with 10 homers and 59 RBIs with the Yellow Jackets. He also served as their closer, brandishing a fastball that reached the mid-90s.

"He was definitely one of the best hitters in the draft. He was a good option," Jordan said.

The only potential glitch is signability. Wieters is represented by agent Scott Boras, who will attach a high price tag to him.

The Orioles must sign Wieters by Aug. 15 or he re-enters the draft next season.

Asked how difficult the negotiations could become, Jordan said, "I think there will be some, but we would not have taken him if we didn't feel like at some point this summer he'll be out playing and he'll be part of the organization's plans going forward."

The Orioles have taken a position player with their first pick the past three years, including catcher Brandon Snyder in 2005 and third baseman Bill Rowell in 2006. Snyder is playing first base at low Single-A Delmarva this year after rotator cuff surgery.

As expected, the Tampa Bay Devil Rays used the first overall pick on Vanderbilt left-hander David Price. The Kansas City Royals took infielder Mike Moustakas of Chatsworth (Calif .) High. The Chicago Cubs selected infielder Josh Vitters of Cypress (Calif .) High, and the Pittsburgh Pirates choose Clemson left-hander Daniel Moskos.

The Orioles don't have a second- or third-round pick this year after signing free-agent relievers Danys Baez and Chad Bradford over the winter. Their fourth-round pick will be announced later tonight.

The pacing of the draft slowed this year because it's being televised for the first time on ESPN2.

O's take Ga. Tech's Wieters at No. 5 - baltimoresun.com
    I called the Orioles the dark horse to land Wieters, since many had Wieters going much later in the draft, such as the St. Louis Cardinals. Boras was the main hindrance there. Even so, I am surprised that the Royals, Cubs and Pirates passed on him.

Many viewed Wieters as the best prospect in the draft. His arm and defense are already major league ready. He was said to be the best positional player in the draft, able to hit for high average and power potential from both sides of the plate. With his college experience, Wieters can move quickly through the minors and will also be mentored by Ramon Hernandez.

Despite that, the price that Boras is expected to ask chased the other teams away. The Orioles have proved they were ready to spend from this past off-season and with no draft picks in the second or third round due to free-agent signings, they had the money to draft Wieters.

I'm definitely happy at this one. Wieters has a bright future and it will be with the Orioles. I'll definitely be heading down the road to Bowie when he makes it up to AA.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: O's Nab Wieters From GT

Great pick, not much to say other than the O's are really headed in the right direction with this one.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.