Thread: Giles Back In Camp After Missing 10 Days

Braves Giles Back In Camp After Missing 10 Days

KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) -- Marcus Giles was unable to contain his enthusiasm Monday as he returned to spring training after missing 10 days following the premature birth of his baby daughter.

Excited about the good news on Sawyur Rae, the Atlanta Braves' second baseman was even more bubbly than usual as he bounded up and down the dugout steps.

"It's great to be back," Giles called out. "I wish I could take two infields."

This is an important spring for Giles, expected to move into the leadoff position in Atlanta's lineup. The Braves do not have a natural leadoff hitter following the departure of shortstop Rafael Furcal to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Even so, Atlanta general manager John Schuerholz and manager Bobby Cox told Giles to take as long as necessary to be with his wife, Tracy.

Giles said doctors at Atlanta's Northside Hospital hope Sawyur Rae, who struggled with lung problems following her birth, can go home Wednesday. Giles said the baby's progress the last two days convinced him it was time to return to the team.

"She's definitely out of the woods," Giles said. "That was my thing with coming here. I wouldn't be here until she was out of the woods."

Giles said he has not yet been able to hold the baby, but he said Tracy fed and held the baby for the first time Sunday.

Giles and his wife have a daughter, Arringtun Mae, but lost another baby following a premature birth. He said the memories of their lost child made this experience "brutal" for the family.

"It was just a roller-coaster with unwanted flashbacks," Giles said. "In our situation, we were pretty pessimistic even though we wanted to be confident. I can't say enough about Northside Hospital and the people there."

Giles also said Schuerholz and Cox "couldn't have been any better, just leaving the decision to me."

Cox said he will take a few days before putting Giles back into a game.

"He'll work out and all," Cox said. "He'll need to do a lot of exercising."

Cox said Giles still has more than enough time to be ready for the April 3 season opener.

Braves backup second baseman Pete Orr is with Canada's World Baseball Classic team, so minor leaguers Jonathan Schuerholz and Martin Prado got most of the playing time during the first week of spring games.

Giles, a 2003 All-Star, hit .291 with 15 homers and 63 RBIs last season, when he was the No. 2 hitter behind Furcal.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

While him being in camp is nice, I'm happier to hear that his child is doing good.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic