Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renteria is an upgrade over Furcal

Braves Renteria is an upgrade over Furcal

Two years ago, panic floated through this city because the Braves let Gary Sheffield get away in free agency. I’m still not sure why. Maybe Sheffield’s regular-season numbers were so blinding that everybody forgot he went splat in consecutive Octobers.

Sheffield’s two seasons in New York have been similar to his two with the Braves. He has made a lot money, which means he can afford a lot of diamond rings, which is fortunate because he hasn’t won any with the Yankees, either.

This week, when the Los Angeles Dodgers dropped a $39 million contract into Rafael Furcal’s lap, there were similar concerns about the Braves losing another centerpiece. If Furcal did something blinding, I missed it. Maybe it was all of those playoff series the Braves won with him in the lineup.

Oh wait. That would be zero. Never mind. (They won a 2001 divisional series with Furcal on the disabled list.)

The Braves are not dismantling a championship team. Rather, they’re trying to fix a team that hasn’t won championships. That’s a good thing.

And so is this: Replacing Furcal with Edgar Renteria.

Look at the body of work, not one season. If you think of the Furcal who hit .322 after the All-Star break, remember the one who hit .254 in the first half. If you think of the 15 errors last year, don’t forget the 82 over the previous three. Which is the aberration?

If you look at the Renteria who suffered a career meltdown in his one season in Boston — 30 errors, 100 strikeouts — remember what he did to earn a four-year, $40 million contract. For most of his career, he has been all about precious metals. Gold Gloves and Silver Sluggers. Injuries — which he wouldn’t blame — and the obvious pressures of playing in the glare of Boston no doubt contributed to the 30 errors last season. But he had only 46 the previous three in the sane surroundings of St. Louis. Which is the aberration?

The Braves’ postseason problems can partly be traced to a lack of clutch. For most of his career, Renteria is all about clutch. His hit won a World Series for Florida in 1997. He is a career .303 hitter with men on base, .281 with runners in scoring position, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Even in last year’s down season, he hit .292 with men on base. (Furcal: .259.) “We had a significant gap to fill, and we believe we’ve done that,” Braves general manager John Schuerholz said.

Actually, he has done more than that. This Braves already have a better lineup than last year, and Schuerholz still has more payroll flexibility than he has had for several seasons.

He convinced the Red Sox to pay $8 million of Renteria’s $29 million over the next three seasons, plus the $3 million buyout of the player’s would-be fourth-year option. That’s like getting half off a Mercedes because of a scratch.

While the Dodgers have committed $39 million to their starting shortstop, the Braves will pay only $18 million for a four-time All-Star who has proven far more over his career than Furcal.

Still miss your Fooky?

Schuerholz has done it again. It hasn’t paid off in October but once. But no general manager has done a better job the other 11 months.

The restructuring of Chipper Jones’ contract saves the team $5 million next season. Julio Franco ($1 million) wasn’t offered arbitration. Johnny Estrada ($2 million) was traded to make room for Brian McCann. Dan Kolb ($3.4 million) was sling-shotted back to Milwaukee, presumably because Brewers is Latin for masochists.

There are still bodies and cash to barter for a closer. Youth now covers this lineup: McCann, Jeff Francoeur, Adam LaRoche, Ryan Langerhans, Kyle Davies.

The amusing thing about the Braves supposedly giving up the organization’s “best prospect” for Renteria in Andy Marte is that the “best prospects” are already on the roster.

Marte might have a future, but he hardly was untouchable and he still looks to be a year removed from major league-ready. And for him they get Edgar Renteria? This trade was a slam dunk.

Renteria is not a replacement. He is an upgrade.

---------

He's right, but I'll miss Furcal's cannon to 1B.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Cannon or no cannon, Furcal has no gold gloves. Besides, Rent-a-season is prone to come up with big hits, and Atlanta needs that if they want to stop choking!
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Furcal is a slightly better player than Edgar Renteria. He's also slightly more expensive.

I would have gone with Betemit at short, Marte at third, and Chipper Jones in the outfield. It's not like Francaeiour is ready yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

Francoeur hit over .300 and has arguably the best arm on the Braves. Chipper will kill himself in the OF.

MLB ERA
    Wow, his arm.

He draws no walks and slumped badly in September. He needs more AAA seasoning to consolidate his gains. In the meantime, Chipper Jones sucks at defense whereever he is.

Plus, you save money.
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Pressure is a bullshit argument. Its up there with how many rings a person has and some other ones I'm too stoned to care about.

I don't care about Chipper's defense. I care about his health. He'll injure himself out in the OF.

Besides, Marte has proved he can't do shit to ML pitching.

MLB ERA
    I haven't seen Marte in action but by looking at his numbers I don't see anything in him. Chipper belongs at 3B and I'm not even too impressed with Betemit either. Which it don't help when I was gone just about the entire 2005 season in the middle east.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Judging by his age and minor league numbers (you know, where he played for a significant number of games), you should see something in him.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Hey, welcome back Draven. Are you a contractor, or military? Touring?

MLB ERA
    Thanks General. I'm Active duty Air Force.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Nice. They treating you well there?

MLB ERA
    Yeah the Air Force usually treats there people better than the other branches.

I've always had this hidden desire to join the Air Force.

What are you, pilot, technician..hell, I'll not try to guess. Surprise me!

AA ERA
    Furcal vs. Renteria... hmmm. I'd probably give the nod to Furcal, but it's close.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Supply Management at the moment. Next year I am retraining into Security Forces so I will be gone again but for about 12 weeks or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast