Thread: Braves release Tom Glavine

MLB ERA

Braves Braves release Tom Glavine

The left-hander is not happy about the Braves' decision.
    "He wants to pitch. He feels great," his agent, Gregg Clifton, told Olney. "He's still shocked about being released by a team he's been a member of, and he's not prepared to retire. He looks forward to pitching again in 2009."
    Clifton said: "Tom is extremely disappointed. He agreed to return to the Atlanta Braves at a drastic discount, and assume all the risk for his 2009 contract, except for a base salary. He has fulfilled his obligations and rehabbed diligently to return to the Braves staff, and to not have that opportunity at this time is extremely disappointing for a Hall of Fame player like Tom Glavine."
    The winner of 305 career games had thrown 11 scoreless innings in his last two rehabilitation starts, however.
    Glavine was due a $1 million bonus if the Braves added him to the active roster, another $1.25 after 30 days of being with the Braves and then $1.25 million more after 90 days.
    Well that kind of blows for Glavine. Just when he thought he was going to get back on track, he's cut. My question is, why now??? This kind of makes no sense to me. If you don't want to pay him those salary amounts, why didn't you just tell him that when he got hurt again that he's done with the Braves? Not good business here at all by the Braves.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Re: Braves release Tom Glavine

This is exactly why...

1) The plan was for Glavine to start the season in the bigs and pitch for a couple of months, possibly more if he was having success, until Tommy Hanson was ready to be brought up.

2) When Glavine had his huge setback in his last rehab start, the plans were thwarted. The Braves used makeshift pitchers for the 5th spot the first two months, still hoping that Glavine would be able to come back and pitch well.

3) Glavine's velocity was down, even more than usual, and the higher-ups in the organization didn't feel he could pitch successfully in the majors.

4) Hanson is ready to be called up, it's June, and there's no use for Glavine anymore. Someone like Glavine doesn't belong in a bullpen, and he most certainly couldn't stay at AAA. So he gets the option to retire or be released, and he chose to be released.

5) Now, the Braves get out of the money they would have had to pay him, and can spend it elsewhere. Glavine is no longer a roadblock for Hanson, and isn't in the way anywhere. Hanson can debut, the Braves can make an additional move or two, and the Braves are a better team overall for it.

So it makes perfect sense.

However, it is a terrible situation, one Frank Wren and the organization should've thought more seriously about in the offseason before giving him this contract. The current situation can't be overlooked, though, and the Braves easily made the best possible decision when considering the circumstances.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Hasn't Glavine recently gotten his velocity back up to 83/84 mph? I mean it was in the 70's earlier in the year, but he has made strides in this area.

As shitty as a situation this might be, I don't think Glavine has any right to be upset at the Braves. Better they release him now and allow him to find a job rather than keep him stashed on the DL or in the pen, where, as bcshorts said, he does not belong.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA

Hanson is making his debut on Saturday.

MLB ERA

I wonder what bcshorts response to me using my waiver postion to block him getting Hanson from waivers?

Agree with him all the way though... Wren shoulda thought it through more...

Possible destinations: Washington, Pittsburgh, Cardinals, LAA, Texas, Reds, Phillies

Anybody got somewhere I forgot?
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Nationals- Probably not.
    Pittsburgh- Doubtful
    Cardinals- Its possible but highly unlikely
    Angels- I still think Pedro ends up here.
    Texas, Cincy and Philly- He would be destroyed and why would he take his 84 MPH stuff there. Look at Jamie Moyer now, and he wasn't great last season either.

I think teams will sign Pedro before Glavine (Still shocked he hasn't been signed yet)
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

MLB - Glavine told he's 'not good enough to get guys out' - FOX Sports on MSN'

Frank Wren told Glavine he "isn't good enough to get guys out". Seems a little harsh for a guy who won you a World Series, left because you treated him like crap, came back 4 years later at a discount, and then gave up opportunities both for more money and for time with his family to work to pitch for you...

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

That John Schuerholz issued an apology tells you that Schuerholz is just as responsible for pushing Glavine out the door as Frank Wren is. Wren is just the scapegoat.

MLB ERA

Glavine did not leave because the Braves treated him like crap. He left because he was a greedy bastard that wanted more money. Funny how things come full circle.