Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible Pros and Cons of trading for Jake Peavy

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Player Possible Pros and Cons of trading for Jake Peavy

Pro: The biggest duh, we're landing a great pitcher with stats to back it up.

Con: Not exactly the most durable pitcher around, but hey that fits the mold of the rest of the staff.

Pro: With his contract tied up, he'd be a heir apparent to John Smoltz, aka, our new ace for years to come.

Con: Definitely not Smoltz-like in the postseason.

Pro: Back to the contract, while it ends up getting larger each year, who else do we really pay right now besides Chipper Jones and Tim Hudson? He wouldn't be a rental like Teixeira.

Con: We're cheapskates now, so he's essential half the pay roll at this rate.

Pro: He's a grand step towards competing for the division again.

Con
    : We're a ways away. There's also the possibility that if a deal was made, it would involve Johnson and/or Escobar. Losing both would be tough to swallow since the offense will have questions: What the hell will Francoeur do, Kotchman is not Teixeira with the bat, Chipper is another season older, and there's plenty of questions about the outfield. On the bright side, Washington is releasing Pete Orr, bring 'em back!

Pro: Seems stupid to pass up on a chance to land a pitcher of Jake's caliber, he'll be more affordable than Sabathia and he's younger than Lowe or Pettite.

Con: Is moving his contract and gaining more parts the 100% whole truth to wanting to deal him so soon? We've seen Billy Beane do this before in the past, and really only Tim Hudson panned out (although Harden was good till the postseason, wait and see on him)

Pro: We need an established horse.

Con: We need many. Hampton, now Glavine, Gonzalez, Soriano, Bennett, Moylan and obviously Smoltz (who may or may not return) are injury prone. We couldn't contend with Peavy, Hudson, Jurrjens and a cast of journeymen and nobodies.

Pro: Braves are said to be one of the favorites to make a deal for Peavy.

Con: Frank Wren doesn't want to deal prospects. Ultimately, I feel a bigger market would trade for him, regardless of what Wren would or would not part with. I like the idea behind trading for him, but I would hate it if that's all we really did and just settled for more mediocre veterans to fill up the rest of the team. It has worked out for years now, it wouldn't change.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Possible Pros and Cons of trading for Jake Peavy

Pro: We need an established horse.

Con: We need many. Hampton, now Glavine, Gonzalez, Soriano, Bennett, Moylan and obviously Smoltz (who may or may not return) are injury prone. We couldn't contend with Peavy, Hudson, Jurrjens and a cast of journeymen and nobodies.
    You don't have to worry about Hampton or Glavine as they are free agents. Hudson is likely to miss all of 2009 so he shouldn;t be in the equation either. Braves NEED Peavy.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah, one guy will save us.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah, no one said that.

MLB ERA

Here's the way i see it:

-they get Peavy for their entire farm, and then make more trades and try to compete.
    -they don't get Peavy, and they develop their farm for another season or two

it's their going all out or staying shitty for another few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If they don't get Peavy, they will still have money to get a starter or two and a LFer. If they do trade for Peavy, they still will have money to get a LFer and a middle infielder.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It's a trade that the Braves can't lose. It may be the biggest no-brainer in sports business since the Celtics got Kevin Garnett. Screw prospects. For every Francisco Liriano there's a Rafael Medina.

Is it a certainty though that we will reach a long term agreement with Peavy? If it is, this is easily a no-brainer.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA

Con

This wouldn't seem as great if he wasn't an all-time Padre

LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by General View Post
    Is it a certainty though that we will reach a long term agreement with Peavy? If it is, this is easily a no-brainer.
    Peavy is signed through 2013. No long term commitment needed.

Hm. Then it definitely is a no-brainer.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA

I believe the Braves need Peavy. Glavine, Smoltz, Hampton & Hudson will most likely won't be back next season. Just looking at that is very depressing.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

C'mon Draven!! The Braves can do better than aging and injured Glavine, Smoltz and Hampton.

MLB ERA

They could if they can afford anyone else. The Braves believe they have a great shot at Peavy so I'm hoping it pulls through. They need more than Peavy to make up for the losses.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Peavy and Jurrgens make a good 1-2 combo for '09 with the Braves still having enough money to get another starter and make upgrades at other positions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast