Thread: Smoltz Definitely Returning to 'Pen

MLB ERA

Smoltz Definitely Returning to 'Pen

Although manager Bobby Cox and pitching coach Roger McDowell are waiting a little longer to make their official decision, John Smoltz has other plans. "I hear people say that we can't win without me as a starter," said Smoltz, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Wednesday with biceps tendinitis. "But we're not going to win with me as a five-inning starter either." Smoltz is sure he will be going to the bullpen when he returns, first as a reliever, and then he will decide where to go from there, either to a set-up or closer role, or back to the rotation. Smoltz only exceeded 5 innings twice in his 5 starts this year, maily due to tightness between his shoulder and neck.

Even during his last start, Smoltz just couldn't keep it up. "I would have walked off the mound after the first inning if we hadn't been short on pitching," Smoltz said. "Even during those first four starts, I haven't been happy at all. I've been in a lot of pain. ... People say that I was lights out in those other starts. I was lights out for three innings and then gutted myself through the rest of those games."

Story
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Re: Smoltz Definitely Returning to 'Pen

Just an update on this, he said this in a text message to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

"I am planning on coming back as a reliever first, and more than likely for the rest of this year"

Looks like he will be there long-term
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Life: Its gots to be funky.

MLB ERA

Re: Smoltz Definitely Returning to 'Pen

With the problems he has he most likely would want to finish his career in the bullpen to extend for a few years. Just a guess.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."