Braves.com
ATLANTA -- If Edgar Renteria's right ankle continues to heal like it has over the course of the past week, there's a chance the Braves could have him back in their lineup by the time they begin next week's road trip.

Renteria, who has been on the disabled list since suffering a high ankle sprain Aug. 2, is once again walking without much discomfort. During Tuesday night's win over the Giants, the veteran shortstop bounced up from the bench to the top of the dugout steps to dispute a close call at first base.

"He's coming along real good, better than expected," Braves manager Bobby Cox said. "I don't know if he can play by his [activation-eligible] date [Saturday], but shortly after that."

While Renteria likely won't be ready to play when he's eligible for activation Saturday, there's a good chance he'll return to the lineup during their four-game series that starts in Cincinnati on Monday.

When Renteria suffered the injury, he was in the middle of a hot streak that had improved his batting average to .336 -- a mark that ranks fifth in the National League. In the 20 games he's played since the All-Star break, the 32-year-old shortstop has hit .398 with a .511 slugging percentage and a .424 on-base percentage.

Entering Wednesday night's game against the Giants, the Braves had managed to win six of the 10 games that they'd played in Renteria's absence. Some of the offensive slack has been picked up by Yunel Escobar, who has hit .333 during his 10-game span as the everyday shortstop.

While he's occasionally shown some inexperience defensively, the 24-year-old Escobar has also shown flashes of great athleticism. During the ninth inning of Tuesday's win, while playing on the infield grass, he dove to his left to remarkably snare a Dave Roberts sharp grounder that had seemed destined to be an RBI single.

The defensive gem simply put a cap on a grand evening for the Cuban shortstop, who also enjoyed his third four-hit game of the season. Escobar, who made his Major League debut June 2, is just one of four Major League rookies to have had at least three four-hit games this year.

When Renteria returns, Escobar and Kelly Johnson will once again platoon at second base.

Julio ready for Rome: When the Braves designated him for assignment Aug. 1, Julio Franco didn't contemplate retirement. Instead, the veteran first baseman, who will celebrate his 49th birthday Aug. 23, says he remained confident that he'd have another opportunity to prove he can still prove to be a benefit at the Major League level.

"I've always said that when I can't perform [in the Majors], it will be time to leave," Franco said after working out at Turner Field on Wednesday afternoon. "I think that I can still perform up here."

Before being added to the Atlanta roster in September, Franco will spend the next two weeks playing for Class A Rome and Triple-A Richmond. He's planning to begin playing for Rome on Thursday night and will remain with the club through Sunday.

After taking a few days off, Franco plans to play for Richmond during a six-game homestand that begins Aug. 25.

"I can do this," Franco said. "I can wait. I can play in the Minor Leagues for about 15 days and then come back up in September. ... I'm going there to play ball. I'm going to go there, stay fresh and try to help them win."

When the Braves claimed Franco off waivers in July after he'd been released by the Mets, they believed he could still prove beneficial while playing on a regular basis. This theory was strengthened when he hit .333 during the seven games he played before being designated by Atlanta.

With Mark Teixeira in place, Franco won't have the chance to play on an everyday basis. But Cox believes the ageless wonder can still be a weapon if used on a regular basis as a pinch-hitter.

Braves bits: Right-handed reliever Tanyon Sturtze, who is attempting to come back from shoulder surgery, allowed a hit and issued a walk in a scoreless inning for Richmond on Tuesday night. Cox said he hadn't received a report indicating whether Sturtze had made any progress. ... Richmond manager Dave Brundage told The Richmond Times-Dispatch that he's informed the Braves he's no longer interested in become the University of Oregon's head baseball coach.

Coming up: The Braves will conclude their three-game series against the Giants on Thursday night at 7:35 p.m. ET at Turner Field. Atlanta will send Chuck James (9-8, 3.93) to the mound to oppose Tim Lincecum (6-2, 3.59).