Thread: Mike Hampton will not pitch in '07

MLB ERA

Mike Hampton will not pitch in '07

Braves.mlb.com

ATLANTA -- When he acquired Mike Hampton before the start of the 2003 season, Braves general manager John Schuerholz was lauded for his ability to work a deal that would provide his club with what appeared to be a three-year bargain.

Unfortunately, Hampton was still under contract for six years and, with the injury woes that have followed the veteran left-handed pitcher, now appears to have been anything but a bargain for the Braves.

While being evaluated by Dr. David Altchek in New York City on Monday, Hampton learned that he'll be forced to miss his second consecutive season. He has a torn flexor tendon in his left elbow that Altchek will attempt to repair during a surgical procedure on Tuesday morning.

Altchek has told the Braves that it will be another six to nine months before Hampton is able to resume pitching activities. The 34-year-old left-hander hasn't pitched since Altchek performed Tommy John surgery on him on Sept. 25, 2005.

"It's disappointing because Mike has worked so hard physically and mentally to come back to pitch for us," Braves general manager John Schuerholz said. "He wants to pitch again for us almost as bad we want him back pitching for us."
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA

Re: Mike Hampton will not pitch in '07

cant say that i am shocked.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA

He should just retire.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

If anybody was expecting anything from him anyway...that's a shame.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Mike Hampton will not pitch in '07

uuummmm.. is it time to just cut your losses or ties with Hampton and move on to get someone else to pitch. What do you think about that Mr. Wood, oooppps, I mean Mr. Prior, ooooppss again, I mean Mr. Hampton. These three have some sort of plot to stay inactive and collect huge amounts of money or something?