Braves Mailbag @ Braves.mlb.com

Now that Mike Hampton will be sidelined until at least mid-May, what is the plan?
-- Steven M., Douglasville, Ga.

With John Smoltz, Tim Hudson and Chuck James at the front, the Hampton-less rotation still has the potential to be strong. Unfortunately, this trio will only start 60 percent of the games that are played as Hampton nurses his left oblique strain.

When Hampton got hurt on Thursday, the Braves immediately began looking for pitchers via trade or free-agent market. Fortunately, it appears they may have received a gift via the very affordable signing of Mark Redman, who just four seasons ago registered 14 wins for the World Series championship Marlins.

Had they chosen to just stand pat, the final two pitchers in the Braves' rotation would have been Kyle Davies and Lance Cormier. Just 28 starts into his career, it still isn't known if Davies will live up to his tremendous capabilities. Cormier, who has 14 career starts, made an impression in four of the five starts he made last September. But is that really enough of a sample size to determine his future potential as a starter?

With this uncertainty surrounding at least 40 percent of the games they'll play in Hampton's absence, the Braves felt it necessary to acquire an experienced hurler who would provide dependability. Fortunately, Redman had overpriced himself on the free-agent market and was just waiting in Oklahoma for his phone to ring.

If Hampton doesn't return until June 1 (a certain possibility), Redman will have had the opportunity to make about 10 starts. Even if he wins just three or four of those starts, his acquisition will likely still be viewed in a positive light.

Redman worked at least six innings in 14 of his 29 starts for the Royals in '06. But he reached that total in 20 of the 30 starts he made for the Pirates in '05. In other words, Redman is capable of being a pitcher that isn't going to be a constant burden on the bullpen.

Considering how hard the Braves worked to improve their bullpen this year, it was necessary to find an innings-eater like Redman. They couldn't just roll the dice and hope that Davies and Cormier would suddenly evolve into dependable starters.

It has been easy to assume that Davies and Redman will fill the final two spots in the rotation to begin the season. But Cormier has looked pretty good, and, if nothing else, he's going to push Davies until the bitter end of Spring Training.

When Hampton returns, it may still take at least four or five starts before he begins to show signs of regaining his successful form. Thus, Redman's presence could prove to be very beneficial beyond the end of May.

Who do you feel has the inside track of being the starting second baseman? Has Martin Prado been as impressive as his numbers suggest?
-- M. Kieran, Stateboro, Ga.

Prado has been very impressive, both with his bat and his glove. But all indications are that Kelly Johnson will begin this season as the starting second baseman, and this is primarily due to the fact that he's considered to be the better option as a leadoff hitter.

As Prado has been proving that he's certainly capable of filling the role, I've been asking more people to give me their assessment of Johnson. Most of them have seen Johnson develop through the Minor League system and have come to know that his athleticism will allow him to continually improve during his transition to the second-base position.

Because he's never played shortstop, Prado's candidacy for a utility infield spot is weakened. But after seeing him in Major League camp during the past two years, I've gained the belief that he'll soon be an everyday player at the big-league level. Whether or not that becomes a reality in Atlanta remains to be seen.

If Johnson should struggle or suffer an injury, there wouldn't be any concern as how Prado will fare as the second baseman. The only concern would be in the leadoff spot.

But then again, the concerns wouldn't be any greater last year, when without a true leadoff hitter, the Braves still scored the second-most runs in the National League.

I know that Bob Wickman is slated to be the Braves closer this year, but is there any chance that Mike Gonzalez will get the job? Gonzalez did convert 24 out of 24 save chances last year for one of the worst teams in the league, and it seems like he would be better now with a better Braves team.
-- Chris C., Fresno, Calif.

I'm not sure I follow your reasoning in regard to your belief that he could be even better in Atlanta. Getting the final three outs in a Major League game is difficult, whether you're pitching for the Tigers or the Nationals. If anything, former Brave Dan Kolb showed us that coming to a more pressure-filled situation can actually prove to be an undesirable burden.

But believe me, Gonzalez isn't anything like Kolb, who right off the bat showed signs of being far too timid. If anything, Gonzalez possesses the bravado that you want coming out of your bullpen. And as last year's success proves, he has the capability of being one of the game's best closers.

As you said, Wickman will be used as the primary closer. But manager Bobby Cox won't be hesitant to also occasionally use Gonzalez or Rafael Soriano in that role. Having three potential closers is certainly a great benefit for the veteran manager, who went through the first 3 1⁄2 months of the 2006 season without one.

Gonzalez and Soriano will primarily team to ensure Wickman is provided a ninth-innning lead to protect. But occasionally, they'll also be used to give the veteran closer some necessary rest.

If Hampton continues to get hurt, why don't the Braves release or trade him?
-- Michael T., Watkinsville, Ky.

I'll have to admit that I was surprised to see this question asked so frequently over the past couple of days. The simple answer is that all Major League contracts are guaranteed. Thus, even if the Braves were to release Hampton, they'd still own him $29.5 million over the next two seasons.

As for trading him, that also isn't an option. There aren't any teams lining up to assume this financial burden for a veteran pitcher who has made 12 starts since the end of the 2004 season.

Why can't baseball utilize instant replays like they do in football? I've seen slow motion on some plays, and it shows the umpire was mistaken.
-- Carolyn M., Cowan, Tenn.

I think the only time replay should be utilized in baseball is on those rare occasions when it's arguable if a home run was fair or foul. And I guess it could also be utilized if it's believed that a fan interfered with an outfielder who is attempting to rob a homer.

But other than that, there's truly no need for replay. Unlike football referees, baseball umpires are usually looking simply at one specific area. Thus, other than those instances when they cover for a crew member who has had to getter look at a play in the outfield, their responsibilities don't require the need for much mobility.

Because of this, they should be able to regularly put themselves in position to make the right call. Obviously, mistakes are still going to be made. But that's going to happen in a sport where many bang-bang plays are still arguable after an instant replay viewing.