Braves can't help loving their Elvis, 18 | ajc.com

Lake Buena Vista, Fla. — Elvis was in the building, and the Braves took notice.

Elvis Andrus, a slick-fielding shortstop prospect, was brought in from minor league camp for a split-squad game Sunday. He fielded ground balls during batting practice alongside All-Star shortstop Edgar Renteria, who nodded as he admired the kid's smooth, seemingly effortless style.

"He takes ground balls like he's been in the big leagues a long time," Renteria said of Andrus, an 18-year-old Venezuelan who's probably still two or three years from the majors.

"I try to learn, and I ask Edgar Renteria questions," Andrus said. "He's an idol for me. I'm trying to watch him in games, watch the way he takes ground balls. He's a very good player."

Told of Andrus' comment, Renteria said, "He's my idol. Taking ground balls like that at 18?"

This winter, Andrus was rated the No. 2 prospect in the organization behind switch-hitting catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. The organization is stacked with talented middle-infield prospects, but Andrus stands out with his glove.

"Elvis, how ya doing?" said manager Bobby Cox, who rose from his seat on a golf cart during batting practice to shake Andrus' hand.

"Good, sir," said Andrus, who speaks fluent English after just two years in the United States.

"Nice infield," said Cox, who had closely watched the flawless session.

Venezuela produces shortstops like western Pennsylvania produces quarterbacks — and then some. Chico Carrasquel, Luis Aparicio, Dave Concepcion, Ozzie Guillen, Alex Gonzalez, Carlos Guillen, Omar Vizquel and others are part of the legendary line of shortstops from Andrus' homeland.

"That's what all Venezuelan kids want to do — go to the majors playing shortstop," said Andrus, who grew up watching Vizquel and recently had a chance to meet and talk to him.

"Omar Vizquel has the best hands I've ever seen. And he's a really good guy."

Andrus played four innings Sunday against Detroit and started a nifty double play that ended the game. During batting practice, he chatted with the Tigers' Carlos Guillen.

He worked out with major leaguers back home in Maracay over the winter, including his friend, Braves rookie Martin Prado, a versatile infielder competing for a major league job this spring.

Those who've seen Andrus play say he just needs to keep improving his hitting and plate discipline, because his defense is already outstanding.

And his attitude? The Braves couldn't be more pleased with how he conducts himself.

"I just get ready, go on the field, enjoy the game," Andrus said. "When you enjoy the game, things go easy. Have fun. I live for this, for this life."

He's added weight and muscle in two years, up to 198 pounds from a rail-thin 175 when he signed in 2005. Last season at Class A Rome, he hit .265 with 25 doubles, four triples and three home runs in his first full season of professional baseball. Andrus will start at high-A Myrtle Beach this season.

"He's good," Cox said. "Going to be a hell of a line-drive and high-average hitter. Plus, the glove."

When Renteria was 18, he was at Class A in the Marlins' system in 1994.

Two years later, he was in the majors, and in 1997 had the winning hit in Game 7 of the World Series.

"When I came up, I was like him," said Renteria, who is signed through 2008. "He's pretty good, man. He's going to be good for a long time."