Thread: Minors report: Young guns on the rise

MLB ERA

Minors report: Young guns on the rise

Braves.mlb.com

Hot topic: There's a growing sense that the traditionally pitching-rich Braves will soon introduce their newest version of young guns -- a homegrown group that could prove to be just as impressive as the original posse that included Tom Glavine, Steve Avery and John Smoltz.

Kyle Davies and Chuck James, neither of whom has yet celebrated his 25th birthday, should definitely be around when top left-handed prospect Matt Harrison arrives in Atlanta, which is expected to be by, at the latest, the start of the 2008 season. Likley soon to follow is Jo-Jo Reyes, who registered 142 strikeouts in 141 innings at the Class A level last year.

While this wave is strong, the one that will follow might be even more impressive. Jairo Cuevas, a 22-year-old right-hander who will pitch at Class A Myrtle Beach this year, has been described as a big, strong, shorter version of O's righty Daniel Cabrera.

Like Cuevas, Jamie Richmond and Thomas Hanson have each made an impression during the early days of this year's camp. While Richmond was registering 52 strikeouts and issuing just four walks in 67 innings for rookie level Danville last year, his teammate Hanson was notching 56 strikeouts and issuing just nine walks in 51 2/3 innings.

"The quality of the arms in the system is absolutely astounding," Triple-A pitching coach Guy Hansen said. "There's one after another after another after another."

On the move: It still remains to be seen whether Gregor Blanco has a future in Atlanta. But the .403 on-base percentage he produced last year suggests that the 23-year-old, defensively sound outfielder is ready for the Major Leagues. It's thought that the fact that Blanco hit no homers in 520 combined at-bats with Double-A Misssissippi and Richmond was a product of a concerted effort to hit the ball the other way. In previous seasons, he showed the ability to be a leadoff hitter with at least respectable power.

Names in the game: Former Major League outfielder Leon Roberts has rejoined the organization to serve as Richmond's hitting coach. He spent the past five years as the hitting coordinator in the Reds' Minor League system. He held that same role for the Braves from 1996-99. ... Franklin Stubbs has moved from Myrtle Beach to join Mississippi's coaching staff.

Former first-rounder: When they took Josh Burrus in the first round of the 2001 First-Year Player Draft, the Braves felt he could be a shortstop with Alex Rodriguez-type bat speed. Now, after hitting just .203 in 76 games for Mississippi last year, Burrus finds himself with a major hill still to climb. At 23, the converted outfielder still has time to prove that his struggles in 2006 were a product of offseason shoulder surgery, but he's no longer on the 40-man roster and isn't considered a prime prospect.

Class of '06: One day after leading Walsh Jesuit to a state championship in Ohio, Chad Rogers found himself as a third-round selection. In registering 30 strikeouts and issuing 11 walks in 39 innings during last summer's Gulf Coast League, the 18-year-old right-hander proved he has a bright future.

What they're saying: "He knows how to play. He's a great kid. You can never say enough about that guy." -- Braves manager Bobby Cox on Martin Prado, whose strong Grapefruit League season has enhanced his chances to earn an Opening Day roster spot
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    We'll see. A lot of the players coming out of Atlanta's farm system have sort of been busts in my eyes, with the exception of Brian McCann.

Adam Wainwright, Jose Capellan, Jeff Francoeur, and Andy Marte were all highly regarded top prospects in the last four years who have been disappointing. I'm wondering if it has to do with coaching & development at the lower levels.

I wouldn't exactly call Francoeur disappointing.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic