Page 64 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves' News Tidbits

MLB ERA

Re: Braves' News Tidbits

News from the 7th of June.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    John Smoltz (shoulder, finger) was sore Wednesday after throwing six innings Tuesday and isn't promising that he'll be ready to go Sunday.
    "I'll wait until the last minute," Smoltz said. "I want to be smart about it and communicate with [manager Bobby Cox]. It's a long season." Smoltz doesn't like being pushed back, so if it happens again, it's going to be time to start getting concerned about his arm issues.

Braves selected outfielder Jason Heyward with the 14th overall pick in the draft.
    A great value in 14th overall, the left-handed-hitting Heyward has plate discliple and 35-homer power potential. He could have a future in right field, but with Jeff Francoeur locked in there, it's more likely that he'll go to left or first base. He was a center fielder in high school, but it's hard to imagine him being the long-term replacement for Andruw Jones.

Brian McCann is back in the lineup for Thursday's game after getting Wednesday off with a sore left ankle.
    McCann rolled the ankle during the second game of Tuesday's doubleheader.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

News from the 8th of June.
    Brian McCann is resting again Friday after getting a cortisone shot for his right ankle on Wednesday.
    McCann played yesterday and will be back in the lineup on Saturday. Jarrod Saltalamacchia is playing in his place tonight.

Chipper Jones is looking to get the splints off his wrists on Saturday and resume baseball drills next week.
    Saturday's examination may determine whether Jones accompanies the team on a road trip to Minnesota for a series that begins Tuesday. "It's better, but still a little ways away from doing anything," he said. Jones isn't likely to go on a rehab assignment, so there's at least a slight chance that he'll be back before the end of next week.
    I hope Chipper comes back soon because the Braves really need him in the lineup.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA

News from the 9th of June.
    Lance Cormier was terrible again Friday, allowing four homers and walking six in 3 2/3 innings against the Cubs.
    Amazingly, that only resulted in five runs for the Cubs, as all four homers were solo shots. Still, it took the Braves out of the game quickly enough. The Braves might choose to put Cormier in middle relief and give Buddy Carlyle an extended look when he's eligible to be recalled.

Manager Bobby Cox said the Braves will give Lance Cormier another start even though he has been terrible since being activated from the disabled list.
    "Cormier walked too many and made too many bad pitches," Cox said. "The stuff's there, he's just rusty." Cormier has a 15.26 ERA and has given up seven home runs in just 7 2/3 innings.

John Smoltz has been scratched from his scheduled start Sunday because of his sore right shoulder.
    Smoltz revealed today that he received a cortisone shot after his last outing. "When I pitched last time, afterward I was probably more uncomfortable than I thought I was going to be," he said. "I got a shot and it's doing great today but I need more time just to make everything work." Smoltz will start Friday against the Indians. Buddy Carlyle will pitch in his place tomorrow.

Braves recalled RHP Buddy Carlyle from Triple-A Richmond.
    Carlyle will start in place of John Smoltz on Sunday and then remain in the rotation with Lance Cormier landing on the DL. A permanent spot is up for grabs, so he's worth watching in NL-only leagues.

Braves placed RHP Lance Cormier on the 15-day disabled list with a tired arm.
    If the Braves were going to make something up, a tired neck would have been just as believable. He's fortunate not to have whiplash after giving up a homer an inning last night. Cormier will have to pitch effectively in the minors if he's going to get another chance.

With the splints off his wrists, Chipper Jones fielded grounders and made some soft throws Saturday.
    He didn't try to hit. "All that went pretty well," Jones said. "This is one of the few days I've really been encouraged. ... As long as I keep getting better, it shouldn't be too long."

Tim Hudson left Saturday's game in the third inning after being hit in the left shin by a comebacker.
    Hudson gave up five runs and still has two men on base when he was replaced by Peter Moylan. Consider him day-to-day.

X-rays on Tim Hudson's left leg came back negative after he was hit on the left shin by a comebacker on Saturday.
    Hudson, who gave up five runs in two-plus innings tonight, is day-to-day with a bruised leg. Odds are that he'll make his next start Thursday against the Cubs.

Brian McCann returned to the lineup for Saturday's game and had an RBI single and two walks.
    McCann received Friday off because of a sore right ankle.

Edgar Renteria went 3-for-5 with a homer, a double and four RBI as the Braves topped the Cubs 9-5 on Saturday.
    Renteria went hitless in 13 at-bats over the previous four days. He gives away enough at-bats that it's highly unlikely he'll hit .320 all year long. Still, he'll likely remain a fine fantasy shortstop. His nine homers this year are one more than he hit in 623 at-bats for the Red Sox two years ago.
    Cormier is just terrible right now. I'm not surprised they put him on the DL but I would of sent him down. A tired arm, please. Carlyle is not much of a replacement for him either.

I am hoping Hudson will not miss his next start because the rotation is bad enough without a constitent 3-5 staters.

MLB ERA

News from the 10th of June.
    Chipper Jones (hands) took batting practive Sunday and is hoping to come off the disabled list for Tuesday's game.
    "I’ll probably come in early tomorrow before we leave to go to Minnesota, take some more batting practice from both sides, see how it feels," Jones said. "Depending on that I guess we’ll make a decision on Tuesday. If it feels good enough to go, I want to get back in there. If I’m still feeling pain, I’ll probably wait another couple days." If not Tuesday, Jones could return for the weekend series beginning Friday.

Edgar Renteria left Sunday's game in the fourth inning with a left hand contusion.
    X-rays were negative. Renteria was likely hurt when he was hit by a Ted Lilly pitch in the first inning. Chris Woodward replaced him.

Buddy Carlyle, who was recalled by the Braves yesterday, gave up four runs in 6 1/3 innings Sunday in a no-decision against the Cubs.
    Carlyle was filling in for John Smoltz tonight, but he should remain in the rotation in place of Lance Cormier. He won't be an option in NL-only leagues when he faces the Indians on Saturday.

Jarrod Saltalamacchia went 3-for-4 with a double Sunday in the Braves' 5-4 win over the Cubs.
    With Brian McCann hurting, Saltalamacchia was making his fourth start in the last six games. He's expected to play again Tuesday, giving McCann's ankle more time to heal.
    The Braves need Chipper back in the lineup but I'm more worried about the long-term than the short-term possiblities. If he comes back too soon he could be right back on the DL. We need him for the long haul.

I'm not worried about Renteria. I believe he should be able to play in Tuesdays game against the Twins.

Saltalamacchia has proved he can hit. With McCann signed for a long-term contract where does that put Salty? I would like to see him in the lineup and 1B would be the more likely choice.

MLB ERA

News from the 13th of June.
    Kyle Davies gave up six hits and five runs Tuesday in his shortest start of the year as he lost his fifth game of the season.
    Davies stuck around for just 3 2/3 innings and 85 pitches, striking out two and walking two. So much for Davies' pattern of one good start and one bad one. Make it two horrid outings in a row and if this keeps up, he'll be yanked from the rotation. His ERA is up to 5.70 for struggling Atlanta, losers of seven of its past 10.

Jeff Francoeur had two hits including a solo homer Tuesday for the slumping Braves.
    He also flashed his arm, gunning down Nick Punto at the plate. Francouer is up to .285 with 30 runs and 45 RBI in 65 games.

Chipper Jones was pain-free during batting practice on Tuesday and could be in Wednesday's starting lineup.
    "I've taken this long to make sure I can go out and perform," Jones said. "Now we're at that point. Let's go." Jones showed no effects of the injured wrists during batting practice and has felt considerably better since receiving cortisone shots last week.

Edgar Renteria was out of the lineup Tuesday due to soreness in his left hand which was hit by a Ted Lilly pitch Sunday.
    Yunel Escobar started Tuesday and will likely continue to start at short until Renteria is able to return to the starting lineup.

John Smoltz felt fine after a bullpen session on Tuesday and he is expected to make his scheduled start Friday against Cleveland.
    Smoltz was scratched from his start Sunday due to lingering shoulder soreness.

Braves optioned RHP Blaine Boyer to Triple-A Richmond.
    We'd take Boyer over Chad Paronto, but the Braves would rather retain their depth than risk losing Paronto on waivers. Boyer allowed three runs -- two earned -- in 5 1/3 innings.

Braves activated third baseman Chipper Jones from the 15-day disabled list.
    Jones is in the lineup as a designated hitter tonight. Yunel Escobar is going to move into the utility role with Chipper back, but he'll probably get the start at shortstop tonight with Edgar Renteria still hurting.

Edgar Renteria, who missed Tuesday's game with a bruised left hand, is playing shortstop Wednesday against the Twins.
    Chipper Jones is also back, but he's DHing, leaving third base open for Yunel Escobar.

John Smoltz had his start pushed back one more day to Saturday.
    Smoltz said he felt fine after a bullpen session, but he decided to request one additional day off. Buddy Carlyle will be moved up to Friday. Both pitchers will face Cleveland.
    Glad to see Chipper back in the lineup. Even though he is the DH while playing in AL parks, he is getting hits right off the bat.

Escobar might go in a utility when they start playing against the NL again but he has proved he belongs in the big leagues IMO.

MLB ERA

News from the 14th of June.
    Chipper Jones had three of the Braves' eight hits Wednesday in his return from the disabled list.
    They were all singles, just like the rest of the hits off Minnesota's Carlos Silva. Jones was the DH tonight, but he is fine to play third base. His bruised hands are more of a problem in the batter's box.

Making his first start at first base, Jarrod Saltalamacchia went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts on Thursday.
    He was facing Johan Santana, so that's excusable. Salty needs to get some playing time at first base with Scott Thorman continuing to slump. Perhaps he'll be there again tomorrow with the Indians throwing C.C. Sabathia.

Bob Wickman spoiled Tim Hudson's brilliant performance by giving up three runs in the ninth Thursday against the Twins.
    After entering a 2-0 game, Wickman gave up four hits while getting just one out in the ninth. It was his third blown save in 14 chances this year. We're sure Braves fans feel a lot more confidence in Rafael Soriano at the moment. Still, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to have the two switch roles. Soriano can get bail pitchers out of jams with his ability to get strikeouts. Wickman is only of use when entering games with the bases empty.

Tim Hudson threw 7 1/3 innings of two-hit ball Thursday against the Twins.
    Hudson outdueled Johan Santana, leaving in the eighth with a 2-0 lead. Too bad Bob Wickman blew the game in the ninth, costing Hudson his seventh win. It's the fifth time this season in which Hudson has allowed three or fewer runs in seven or more innings and come away with a no-decision or a loss.
    Tim Hudson, pitched a great game and yet Wickman couldn't seal the deal. Flash back from '06. I was so annoyed I didn't want to go back to work.

MLB ERA

News from the 15th of June.
    Braves manager Bobby Cox said Tim Hudson has a knot behind his neck, but he doesn't expect the pitcher to miss a start.
    Hudson is scheduled to start Tuesday in Boston. He's struggled mightily against the Red Sox over the years, so if there was ever a week to sit him in mixed leagues, this is it.

Yunel Escobar drove in the tying and go-ahead run in the ninth inning against the Indians on Friday.
    The Braves entered the inning down 4-3 with starter C.C. Sabathia still in the game. Jarrod Saltalamacchia doubled to start the inning and Brian McCann reached on an error, giving the Braves three chances with the go-ahead run on base. Chris Woodward moved the runners over, allowing Escobar a chance to be the hero. His drive to left would have scored the tying run anyway, but David Dellucci couldn't make the tough catch and both runs ended up scoring.
    I really like Escobar. He has proven to me he belongs, hopefully they can find a way to get him some at bats.

Thorman is just not getting the job done at the plate. Salty is hitting the ball pretty good so hopefully he can make the transition to 1B as smooth as possible.

MLB ERA

News from the 16th of June.
    Jarrod Saltalamacchia made his second consecutive start at first base Friday.
    Braves manager Bobby Cox could give Salty and Scott Thorman equal starts at the position in the next few weeks. Atlanta first baseman are ranked last in the majors with a cumulative .202 average and last in the majors with 25 RBI this season.

Lance Cormier, placed on the DL a week ago with a tired arm, pitched two hitless innings for Triple-A Rochester on Friday.
    Cormier wasn't truly injured in the first place. The Braves are likely to spend the next week or two deciding whether to bring him back as a starter or as a reliever.

Jeff Francoeur, batting seventh for the second time this season, went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts in Saturday's win.
    Francoeur's RBI pace has really slowed, in no small part because Andruw Jones is always either striking out or hitting homers in front of him. Francoeur is also in the midst of a slump, but it probably won't last.

John Smoltz, who skipped a start due to shoulder soreness, yielded two runs in six innings and fanned eight Saturday in a win over the Indians.
    Smoltz knows his arm as well as any pitcher in the game, and he'll continue to manage his workload in the hopes of making the biggest possible contribution down the stretch. Don't be surprised if he misses another start or two going into the break.

Edgar Renteria capped a five-hit day with a ninth-inning solo homer in the Braves' 6-2 win over the Indians on Saturday.
    Renteria broke out of a 5-for-29 slump with his third career five-hit game. The last came with the Cardinals on Aug. 8, 2004. Renteria is fifth in the NL with a .329 average. The NL has often had a tough time coming up with All-Star shortstops, but Renteria, Jose Reyes, Hanley Ramirez and Jimmy Rollins all have 850 OPSs this year and J.J. Hardy is still among the league leaders with 16 homers. They might have to find a way to take four of them.
    Smoltz looked good yesterday, which is not surprising. Renteria had a huge game, going 5 for 5 with a homer. The Braves lineup is very promising.

MLB ERA

News from the 17th of June.
    Chipper Jones is one hit from 2,000, two homers from Dale Murphy's Atlanta record (371), and three doubles from 400.
    Chipper would become the third switch-hitter with at least 2,000 hits, 400 doubles and 350 homers, joining Eddie Murray and Chili Davis.

Jo-Jo Reyes allowed one run in seven innings and struck out 10 Saturday in moving to 8-1 for Double-A Mississippi.
    Reyes, a 22-year-old left-hander, has a 3.56 ERA in 13 starts for Mississippi. Including a spot start in Triple-A, he's 9-1 with a 3.40 ERA, 67 H and 77/39 K/BB in 79 1/3 IP. He also got off to a great start last year, only to fade in the second half. He might have a future as a third or fourth starter for the Braves.

Kyle Davies took a loss against the Indians on Sunday after giving up five runs -- three earned -- in 5 1/3 innings of work.
    Davies did a better job of keeping the ball down and avoiding the long ball, but his command still left something to be desired and the Indians' bats woke up in the sixth. In that inning, Davis gave up a single and a double before Ryan Garko reached on an error by Scott Thorman, allowing both runs to score. Another single later in the inning plated Garko and a fifth run scored on Davies' account after he had left the game. It was a better outing than the results may have showed, but Davies is still a very risky option. He should be benched versus the Tigers next time out.
    CJ got his 2,000 hit. Congrats to him, even though he should already have well over 2,000 but his injuries didn't help. Davies fails to be constistent once again.

MLB ERA

News from the 18th of June.
    Chase Fontaine went 5-for-7 with two doubles in a doubleheader for low Single-A Rome on Sunday.
    Fontaine, a 2006 second-round pick, is batting .388 this month and .284/.378/.390 overall. A left-handed hitter with 35-double potential, he could be a regular someday, assuming that he can establish himself as a quality defensive second baseman.

Scott Thorman had a two-run homer, a double and a walk in Monday's win over the Red Sox.
    The homer was off Mike Timlin, who barely qualifies as a major league pitcher at this point. The one yesterday off Fausto Carmona was a whole lot more impressive. With five hits in two games, Thorman shouldn't have to worry about sitting against a right-hander anytime soon. He'll be in the lineup versus Josh Beckett and Julian Tavarez the next two days.

Brian McCann led the Braves on Monday with a three-run homer and an RBI double in a 9-4 win over the Red Sox.
    McCann had just one extra-base hit all month before coming up with a couple of big knocks against Curt Schilling tonight. There's little doubt his sore ankle and probably some other nagging injuries have taken a toll on his offensive production. If he's feeling closer to 100 percent now, perhaps he'll go on a tear.
    Thanks to McCann and Thorman the Braves were able to defeat the Red Sox in Game 1 against Schilling. McCann's homer drove Schilling out of the game.

MLB ERA

News from the 19th of June.
    Slumping Andruw Jones took an 0-for-4 Tuesday
    He's now hitless in 18 straight at-bats and has slipped perilously close to the Mendoza Line. Manager Bobby Cox has hit Jones sixth in the past two games, but it's not helping. Jones is just 10-for-76 in June.

Tim Hudson endured another rough start against the Red Sox Tuesday, giving up nine hits and four runs in 5 1/3 innings.
    And he thought he was escaping them when he switched leagues. Hudson gave up one homer, struck out just one and walked one intentionally as he slipped to 6-5 for the season. Overall, it's been a splendid year for Hudson. Even after tonight's rough outing, he's given up just 95 hits and 26 walks in 105 IP and the homer he served up was just the fourth he's allowed all season after getting ripped for 25 in 2006.
    AJ better pick himself up and get started and Hudson needs to stay constistent.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Andruw Jones is playing his way out of a big contract.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    Andruw Jones is playing his way out of a big contract.
    Yep. If he keeps this up would the Braves be able to afford him?

MLB ERA

News from the 20th of June.
    Edgar Renteria didn't return after the rain delay Tuesday because of back stiffness.
    Yunel Escobar replaced him. Manager Bobby Cox said he expected Renteria to play Wednesday.

Braves recalled RHP Joey Devine from Double-A Mississippi.
    It's probably just a one-game promotion for Devine. He replaces Macay McBride tonight and could be sent down to make room for Wilfredo Ledezma on Friday.

The slumping Andruw Jones is getting Wednesday off, giving him two days of rest.
    The Braves don't play tomorrow. Jones is in an 0-for-18 slump and is swinging at a bunch of bad pitches. "It's not a surprise," he said. "By sitting out and watching the game from the bench, I can get my mind away from it." Willie Harris played center tonight, giving Matt Diaz a start against a right-hander.

The other shoe finally dropped for Buddy Carlyle on Wednesday as he was beat up by the BoSox.
    Carlyle had actually done a decent job as the fifth starter, but tonight he showed his true colors when he was slapped around for nine hits and seven runs in just 3 2/3 innings. He struck out four and walked three -- two intentionally as his ERA soared to 6.11. Unfortunately, Atlanta doesn't seem to have any better options at the moment.
    It's about time AJ is on the bench and Harris looked pretty good out there. Carlyle, well he sucks and shouldn't have a Braves uniform on.

MLB ERA

News from the 21st of June.
    Chipper Jones injured his groin during Wednesday's loss and might not be ready to play Friday.
    Jones left without commenting on the injury, but manager Bobby Cox said he was "hurting." Yunel Escobar might have to start at third base this weekend.

Edgar Renteria started Wednesday and went 1-for-3 against the Red Sox.
    Renteria left Tuesday's game because of back stiffness.

Lance Cormier (tired arm) gave up three runs and three hits in three innings during a rehab start for Triple-A Richmond on Wednesday.
    Cormier threw 50 pitches striking out four in the outing. He will continue to pitch for Richmond until the Braves find a role for him on the major league roster.

According to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark, the Braves are much more interested in Mark Buehrle than the Mets are.
    The Mets have indicated don't want to give up Lastings Milledge or Carlos Gomez for a player in his walk year, and it's safe to assume the Braves feel the same way when it comes to Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Yunel Escobar is a player we bet the White Sox would have a lot of interest in. The Braves value him highly, but it might be worth surrendering him to add Buehrle to the rotation.
    Cormier needs to stay in Richmond until he figures out where the Cormier from Spring Training went to.

Page 64 of 71 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast