Page 54 of 71 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves' News Tidbits

MLB ERA
    Other way around. Wickman is more of a closer IMO. Which I haven't seen Gonzalez pitch but Wickman was great last season.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld.com
    FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal says the Braves are believed to be getting a minor league infielder along with Mike Gonzalez in exchange for Adam LaRoche and a prospect.
    It still seems doubtful that first baseman Brad Eldred is involved after his 2006 was ruined by injury. The Pirates' best infield prospect is shortstop Brent Lillibridge, and he'd make a lot of sense. Though he's not going to contribute this year, he'd have a better chance than Chris Duffy of turning into a long-term regular for Atlanta. There's yet to be any clue about the identity of the second player going to Pittsburgh. It's likely to be a lesser talent.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Wickman is old, seasoned, and was signed under the premise of being a closer.

No doubt in my mind he is the closer next year.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    At least one prospect from each organization is involved in the Mike Gonzalez-Adam LaRoche deal, MLB.com reports.
    Beyond Andrew McCutchen and Neil Walker, neither of whom should be on the table, the Pirates don't have any obvious candidates to even up the deal from Atlanta's perspective. Brad Eldred is now very expendable, but he lost most of his value last year. Perhaps the Braves are looking to take a chance on Bryan Bullington or John Van Benschoten. Reliever Josh Sharpless is another who might be of interest.

The Beaver County Times reports that the Braves will acquire Mike Gonzalez and Brent Lillibridge from the Pirates for Adam LaRoche and Jamie Romak.
    The 21-year-old Romak is a long shot, but the pickup is still noticable given that he's everything that the Pirates typically don't look for in an outfield prospect. He hit .247/.369/.471 for low Single-A Rome last season and has little in the way of speed. Lillibridge is the clearly superior talent, though it's up for debate whether he'll make it as a regular shortstop. The 23-year-old hit .305/.419/.480 with 53 steals while splitting 2006 between A-ball teams. With the Braves getting a second useful part, this looks like a fair deal for both teams. We're not optimistic LaRoche will stay at his 2006 level of performance, but we also have doubts about Gonzalez ever turning into a guy who can be counted on for 65-70 innings per season. The trade is expected to be officially announced on Thursday or Friday.

Braves agreed to terms with first baseman-outfielder Craig Wilson, who had been with the Pirates, on a one-year, $2 million deal.
    Now the Adam LaRoche deal is going to truly improve the Braves. Wilson, a career .296/.395/.543 against lefties, will probably start the season platooning with Scott Thorman at first base, but he can also be a very solid regular if Thorman disappoints. He's a defensive downgrade for sure, but over the course of his career, he's been just as productive of a hitter as LaRoche. The Braves have themselves a bargain here.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    They must have known Wilson was coming aboard when they made the deal...makes more sense now.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA
    JS wouldn't of given up LaRoche for Gonzalez straight up. He knows better than that crap.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    They had to so something. Thorman wasn't going to get it done on his own. Wilson is still a big wiffer in big moments but is good for 15-20 homers a year.

MLB ERA
    Andruw Jones, a free agent after the season, said he'd like to finish his career in Atlanta.
    "I'm not saying I'll play for cheap when the market is so high; I won't do that," he said. "But I'm going to do my best to stay here. It's up to the Braves whether they want to keep me or not." The Braves aren't going to pay Andruw the $20 million per year his agent, Scott Boras, believes he can command. However, Jones indicated that he could stay for an eight-year contract worth $16 million per year. "It's not a bad contract for eight years," he said. "Sure, you could go somewhere else and get [a better annual salary]. But I don't think about that. I'm looking to stay here. ... My thing is, I want to win. Since I've been in the big leagues, I've been winning. I don't want to finish my career as a loser."

Shortstop Brent Lillibridge was sent from the Pirates to the Braves in a four-player deal.
    Lillibridge hit .305/.419/.480 with 53 steals with two A-ball teams as a 22-year-old last season. If he can stay at shortstop, he has a chance to be a well above average regular. He's probably not going to hit for a lot of power in the majors, but his on-base skills are legit. If a move to second base comes at some point, it would take away some of his upside. Center field might also be a possibility for him.

Braves acquired LHP Mike Gonzalez and shortstop Brent Lillibridge from the Pirates for first baseman Adam LaRoche and outfielder Jamie Romak.
    After a year in which he went 24-for-24 in save chances, Gonzalez will be returning to a setup role in Atlanta. Still, that may be just a one-year assignment. It will be interesting to see whether he's quite so effective this year when he's asked to enter games with men on base more frequently. He did walk 31 batters in 54 innings last season, leaving him with a 1.35 WHIP. We expect him to be very good anyway, but it's likely that he'll serve at least one stint on the DL.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Well Mr. Jones is honest at least. Says the right thing by wanting to stay on Atlanta, but not play for cheap. At least if he leaves for the $$$$$ he stated he wanted to be in Atlanta, just going to the highest bidder.

MLB ERA
    I am hoping the Braves will do everything possible to keep him after '07. He just won't look right in any uniform other than a Braves uniform.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    I agree. In today's game loyality doesn't seem like top priority!!!

MLB ERA
    Braves GM John Schuerholtz said Friday that he doesn't see Scott Thorman reduced to a platoon role with Craig Wilson at first base.
    So the cash-strapped Braves gave Wilson $2 million to act as a pinch-hitter? Nah. The Braves were also saying at this time last year that Adam LaRoche wouldn't be platooned, but he did sit against lefties until Brian Jordan got hurt. Thorman isn't as good as LaRoche and Wilson is better than Jordan. A platoon makes all the sense in the world.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that comment, I think JS is simply boosting Thorman's confidence.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Kelly Johnson is getting more comfortable in his workouts at second base and looks forward to having a chance to win the starting job there this spring.
    Johnson has been working out with Braves coach and former major league second baseman Glenn Hubbard two or three times per week all winter. If he proves to be steady enough defensively, he could enter the season as the Braves' leadoff hitter. "I like his eye at the plate," manager Bobby Cox said. "His on-base percentage is always going to be good, he'll take a walk, he can run, and he's got power. I think he's going to hit for average and power —- 20 home runs, anyway."

MLB ERA
    KJ should be great in the new role.

MLB ERA
    I'm hoping he gets it. It was looking good until he got injuried.

Page 54 of 71 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast