Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Thread: Braves' News Tidbits

MLB ERA
    News from the 20th of March.
    Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    Andruw Jones (shoulder) is reportedly expected to play Wednesday.
    Manager Bobby Cox initially had hoped to get Jones back into the lineup Monday, but the timetable has been pushed back a bit.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    News from the 21st of March.
    Manager Bobby Cox held Chipper Jones (oblique) out of Wednesday's game.
    "I was clearly ready to play today," Jones said. "I came to the park ready to go on the trip and they won't let me. You know how Bobby is, it's always, 'One more day.'" Jones could return to the lineup Thursday, although when asked about it Cox said, "We'll see how it goes."

Andruw Jones homered and walked Wednesday in his return to Atlanta's lineup.
    Jones had three days off to rest a sore right shoulder.

Mark Redman yielded two runs and eight hits in five innings Wednesday against the Nationals.
    Redman hasn't really impressed his last two outings, but he's likely to open the season in the rotation anyway. He has a 4.50 ERA in his three starts for the Braves.

Mike Hampton threw off a mound Wednesday for the first time since he strained his left oblique during batting practice two weeks ago.
    "He was good," pitching coach Roger McDowell said. "It was like he hadn't skipped a beat." Hampton still may not pitch at all for the Braves during April.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    News from the 22nd of March.
    Willy Aybar (wrist) appears likely to begin the season on the disabled list.
    Aybar has missed all but three games this spring. Tony Pena Jr. is out of options and would be the obvious choice to replace him on the roster to begin the season.

Braves agreed to terms with catcher Brian McCann on a six-year, $26.8 million contract with a club option for 2013.
    McCann gets a $1 million signing bonus, $500,000 this year, $800,000 in 2008, $3.5 million in 2009, $5.5 million in 2010 and $6.5 million in 2011. He earns $8.5 million in 2012 and can make $3 million more in escalator provisions, but if he fails to win certain awards, his salary that season becomes a club option. The option for 2013, which would have been his second year of free agency, is worth $12 million. Even though catchers can have more things go wrong than other position players, it looks like a pretty good contract for the Braves. They might save $7 million-$10 million over his arbitration years if salaries continue to escalate.

Chipper Jones returned to the lineup for Thursday's game and had an RBI double in three at-bats.
    Jones started at third base after missing six days with a sore right oblique. He's had 28 at-bats this spring, so the Braves can afford to continue to go slowly with him.

John Smoltz won Thursday by pitching six innings and allowing one run against the Braves.
    Smoltz, who was making his next to last start of the spring, has a 1.80 ERA and a 17/3 K/BB ratio in 20 innings.

Edgar Renteria, Matt Diaz, Ryan Langerhans, Chuck James and Blaine Boyer have all come down with a virus spreading throughout the Braves clubhouse.
    None took part in Thursday's game. Each is day-to-day.

Braves optioned RHP Phil Stockman to Triple-A Richmond.
    A healthy Stockman would have been a candidate for the Atlanta pen, but he was slow to recover from January hamstring surgery. The hard-throwing right-hander could be of use later on.

MLB ERA
    News from the 23rd of March.
    Edgar Renteria returned to action on Friday and went 0-for-1 with two walks.
    Renteria and Matt Diaz were both back today after missing Thursday's game with a virus.

Kyle Davies yielded one run and three hits over six innings Friday in a victory over the Phillies.
    Davies has done more than enough to win a rotation spot this spring, but it looks like he'll probably be out of luck anyway, and Lance Cormier has pitched even better. Davies has a 1.93 ERA in 14 innings, and he allowed just one run and two hits in five innings during an intrasquad game last week.

Scott Thorman is away from the Braves to be with his wife, who was scheduled to have labor induced on Thursday.
    The Braves didn't know as of this afternoon when Thorman would rejoin the team.

MLB ERA
    News from the 24th of March.
    Tyler Yates took a loss in relief after giving up two runs in his inning of work against the Indians on Saturday.
    Yates has given up five runs and posted a 5/5 K/BB ratio in eight innings. He's out of options and it's doubtful that he'd clear waivers, giving him a big advantage in securing one of the two vacancies in the Atlanta pen. Still, the Braves might be better off carryng Blaine Boyer over him.

Willy Aybar, who has been limited by a sore wrist, returned to action on Saturday and went 0-for-3 against the Tigers.
    Aybar was making his first appearance in 15 days. He still has a chance to be on the Braves' active roster to begin the year, but he might need to play in every game the rest of the way.

Scott Thorman rejoined the Braves and had a double in four at-bats on Saturday.
    Thorman missed three days for the birth of his child.

Kelly Johnson reached base all four times he was up Saturday, going 2-for-2 with two walks.
    Johnson is now batting .286/.357/.490 in 49 at-bats. Martin Prado has been even better offensively and is the superior defender, but it looks like the job will be Johnson's on Opening Day, with Prado probably playing regularly in Triple-A.

Tim Hudson limited the Tigers to one run over six innings Saturday in Atlanta's 3-1 victory.
    Hudson improved his spring ERA to 1.71. He's given up 18 hits, walked three and struck out 11 in 21 innings.

Braves sent RHP Jonathan Johnson outright to Triple-A Richmond.
    We're still baffled as to how he got on the 40-man roster in the first place. The 32-year-old gave up 11 earned runs and 18 hits in 8 2/3 innings this spring.

After another strong bullpen session on Saturday, Mike Hampton (oblique) is optimistic he'll be able to return in early May.
    After evaluating how Hampton rebounds on Sunday, manager Bobby Cox will begin to set a timetable for his return. He is hopeful Hampton will be able to return around May 7. Hampton felt no discomfort in his oblique or surgically repaired left elbow after his bullpen session Wednesday and remains on schedule.

The Braves appear to be leaning on placing Willy Aybar on the 15-day disabled list to start the season.
    Aybar has been sidelined for most of spring because of a sore right hand and visa problems and manager Bobby Cox is growing impatient. "He's missed, what, 80 or 90 percent of the games?" Cox said. Pete Orr could land the utilityman job to start the season.

AA ERA
    Hudson looks poised for a big year!
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    News from the 25th of March.
    Rafael Soriano struck out all three Nationals he faced Sunday, lowering his spring ERA to 1.12.
    Soriano had velocity issues during winter ball and then battled some mild shoulder soreness early in camp, but he's been lights out this spring, striking out 12 and walking none in eight innings. That he's a long shot to earn saves makes him less interesting for fantasy purposes, but we like him anyway as a late-round option in NL-only leagues. There are few more dominant relievers in baseball.

Chuck James pitched six scoreless innings and drove in two runs Sunday in a defeat of the Nationals.
    James walked four today and has a 10/10 K/BB ratio in 20 innings this spring. Still, his ERA stands at 1.80. He's likely to be just fine as the Braves' No. 3 starter.

Braves optioned reliever Blaine Boyer and outfielder T.J. Bohn to Triple-A Richmond on Sunday.
    In five Grapefruit League appearances, Boyer went 1-0 with a 1.29 ERA, allowing four hits in seven innings, striking out three and walking four. "He just needs to build himself back up," manager Bobby Cox said. "His arm is great. He's been impressive."

MLB ERA
    News from the 26th of March.
    Matt Diaz was scratched from Monday's lineup after Chris Woodward accidently hit him in the face with a bat.
    He was knocked to the ground by the impact, but got up and finished his round of batting practice. He then made his way to the dentist to do something about a damaged tooth.

Braves purchased the contract of LHP Mark Redman from Triple-A Richmond.
    Redman gets a one-year, $750,000 contract now that he's made Atlanta's roster. He'll start the fourth or fifth game of the season, and if he pitches well, he should keep his rotation spot following Mike Hampton's return in May.

Lance Cormier left his start Monday in the second inning because of shoulder stiffness.
    A very tough break for Cormier, who was likely be named the Braves' fourth or fifth starter this week. If he goes on the DL, Kyle Davies would claim the rotation vacancy.

MLB ERA
    News from the 27th of March.
    Manager Bobby Cox said Monday that no MRI has been scheduled for Lance Cormier (shoulder) and the team is optimistic that he can make his next start.
    If healthy, Cormier will begin the year in the Braves' rotation. He's scheduled to make his final spring start Saturday.

Matt Diaz, who missed Monday's game with facial injuries, doubled three times Tuesday and is 8-for-12 over his last three games.
    Diaz is rapidly making up ground on Ryan Langerhans, though he still might begin the season on the wrong side of a platoon. He's batting .309/.321/.400 in 55 at-bats, while Langerhans is at .370/.442/.565 in 46 at-bats.

Andruw Jones went 3-for-3 with a home run Tuesday against the Tigers.
    Jones and Brian McCann hit back-to-back homers off Joel Zumaya in the sixth inning. Jones is batting .238/.396/.429 in 42 at-bats.

Mike Hampton (oblique) had another strong bullpen session on Tuesday, throwing 35 pitches to Yunel Escobar, Pete Orr and Martin Prado.
    "It felt real good," Hampton said. "I let go on the last four or five fastballs and there was no tweaks or pulls or nothing." Hampton will throw one more bullpen session before the season starts, then head to the minors for a rehab assignment. He's due back in early May.

MLB ERA
    News from the 28th of March.
    Ryan Langerhans left Wednesday's game after one inning with a right elbow contusion.
    Langerhans was hit by a Jon Adkins pitch in the first. He stayed in to run, but he was then replaced.

Kyle Davies yielded three runs in five innings Wednesday in a victory over the Mets.
    Davies struggled to throw strikes during a two-run first, but he bounced back nicely afterwards. His immediate future with the Braves appears to depend solely on the health of Lance Cormier's shoulder. If Cormier is ready to go, Davies will likely be Triple-A Richmond's Opening Day starter.

Jeff Francoeur hit a first-inning grand slam to help the Braves best the Mets 8-3 on Wednesday.
    Davies is batting .311 with four homers in 61 at-bats this spring. He hasn't walked at all, of course, but he'll probably manage at least one per month during the regular season.

Manager Bobby Cox said Wednesday that Lance Cormier (shoulder) will miss his scheduled appearance against the White Sox on Saturday.
    Cormier won't be needed to start a regular season game until April 8, so the club is still optimistic that he'll be ready for the outing. If he can't go, Kyle Davies would likely be the choice to take his spot in the rotation.

MLB ERA
    News from the 29th of March.
    Craig Wilson struck out all three times he was up Thursday, lowering his average to .203.
    Wilson got off to a great start this spring, but he's in a 2-for-29 slump. With six strikeouts the last two games, he has a 21/2 K/BB ratio in 59 at-bats. The poor showing will likely prevent him from seeing any time in left field in the early going. He still needs to be the first baseman against left-handers.

MLB ERA
    News on Hampton ...
    Quote Originally Posted by KFFL
    Hampton to throw Friday
    Mon, 2 Apr 2007 09:22:13 -0700

Mark Bowman, of Braves.MLB.com, reports Atlanta Braves SP Mike Hampton (oblique) will throw a simulated game Friday, April 6, and if all goes well he will begin a rehab stint in the minors the following week. The Braves plan on gradually increasing Hampton's workload until he can throw six innings. Hampton is still targeting a return to the Braves by the second week of May.

MLB ERA
    News from the 30th of March.
    The Braves don't expect to decide on their fifth starter until Saturday, when Lance Cormier (shoulder) throws a bullpen session.
    Cormier led the Braves with a 1.15 ERA and .186 opponents' average in five Grapefruit League games (three starts) but left a start Monday in the second inning with stiffness in the back of his pitching shoulder. If he's feeling better, he'll likely start in the rotation over Kyle Davies.

Mike Hampton, who will begin the season on the disabled list because of an oblique injury, is scheduled to return to Florida to pitch in an extended-spring training game next weekend.
    He's supposed to face hitters in simulated game conditions in Philadelphia before he pitches in Florida. He could begin a minor-league rehab assignment after that, with May 7 as a tentative target to join Atlanta's starting rotation.

Willy Aybar took batting practice on Thursday, but is expected to open the season on the disabled list.
    Aybar has had only 12 at-bats this spring because of a sore hand. Pete Orr could join Chris Woodward as the backup infielders to start the season.

Braves optioned RHP Kyle Davies, RHP Peter Moylan and 2B Martin Prado to Triple-A Richmond; reassigned RHP Buddy Carlyle, LHP Steve Colyer, OF Doug Clark, INF Yunel Escobar, INF Willie Harris and C Corky Miller to minor league camp.
    Davies can simply be recalled if the Braves need to place Lance Cormier on the disabled list. With a 2.84 ERA in five starts, he pitched well enough to win a rotation spot this spring. Still, Cormier was even better. The demotions of Prado and Escobar mean that Pete Orr will join Chris Woodward as utility infielders.

Braves placed RHP Tanyon Sturtze on the 15-day disabled list following right shoudler surgery.
    Sturtze's rehab will continue through the first month or two of the season. The Braves will hope he can contribute as a middle reliever after that.

Braves placed LHP Mike Hampton on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left oblique.
    The Braves have Hampton on a program that would see him rejoin the rotation on May 7. He'll bump either Lance Cormier or Mark Redman once healthy.

Braves placed third baseman Willy Aybar on the 15-day disabled list with a right hand injury.
    Aybar could spend a couple of weeks rehabbing in the minors after missing so much of the spring. In the meantime, the Braves will use Chris Woodward and Pete Orr as their backup infielders.

Chipper Jones went 2-for-2 with a two-run homer and a walk Friday against the White Sox.
    Chipper has had trouble staying in the lineup, but he's batting .318 with four homers in 44 at-bats this spring. All four of the homers have come in his last eight games.

MLB ERA
    News from the 31st of March.
    Lance Cormier (shoulder), who went 3-0 with a team-best 1.15 ERA in five starts this spring, was named the Braves' fifth starter over Kyle Davies on Friday.
    Cormier said he had felt some soreness playing catch Thursday, but predicted he would be ready "no question" for his turn in the rotation. He'll throw a bullpen session on Sunday to see if he is healthy enough. If he isn't ready, the Braves will recall Davies to take his spot in the rotation.

Ryan Langerhans had a two-run homer and a sac fly Saturday to lead the Braves to a 4-2 win over the White Sox.
    With a .360/.431/.600 line in 50 at-bats, Langerhans thoroughly outplayed Matt Diaz this spring. He'll likely get all of the starts in left field against right-handers early on. His upside is pretty limited, but he does have some value in NL-only leagues.

MLB ERA
    News from the 1st of April.
    Mike Redman, who gave up two runs in four innings against the White Sox Saturday, is scheduled to start Friday against Oliver Perez and Mets.
    Redman was fine tuning a new curveball yesterday and actually struck out Paul Konerko, Jim Thome and Joe Crede with it. "They've known me as a fastball-changeup away guy, and when you can mix that curveball in, it gives them a third pitch to think about."

Lance Cormier will test his shoulder in a side session, probably Monday in Philadelphia.
    He has been playing catch hoping to rejoin the rotation on April 8 against the Mets, but manager Bobby Cox didn't sound optimistic he'd be able to make that start. "He's still a question mark," Cox said. Kyle Davies, who was optioned to Richmond on Friday, will be ready to replace Cormier if needed.

Mike Hampton (oblique) will throw some live batting practice Sunday and then throw a simulated game to minor league hitters in extended spring training early next week.
    At that point, if all has gone well, the Braves will set up a five- or six-start minor league rehab assignment for Hampton with plans to get him back in the rotation sometime in the first 10 days of May.

Page 59 of 71 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast